Semi autos and ballistic tips?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by btech29, Dec 27, 2010.

1. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

I prolly think about things more than I should, but I was wondering if a semi would hurt ballistic tips. I didnt know if the fast feeding of an AR would damage the soft tip. Anyone know?

2. try it and let us know!

ps.. you were right, I was dreaming, :smack:

3. btech29

:fit: Two days in a row is asking way too much. :fit:

4. I know...I know...

5. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

good question....? i'd like to know as well since thats what i'm planning on shooting out of my AR

6. be_z71

be_z71 Well-Known Member

I shoot ballistic tips out of a Browning BAR and have never had any accuracy issues.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I buy 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips 1,000 at a time and shoot in all of my AR's. They shoot just fine and the feed ramp does not damage the tips.

8. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

I shot some Winchester Silver Tips out of my AR two weeks ago. I didn't see any damage and they shot great.

9. If you think about it, the plastic tip is less likely to be damaged than lead tips. I have shot hundreds of Nosler BT bullets in my 308 auto with no problems, and some in a Mini 14, too.

10. Allstar

Allstar Well-Known Member

This pic is 3 shot groups of 100gr Nosler BT's from my AR 25wssm. I was working on seating depth and tightening my groups. I settled on group 1. They do have polymer tips. [​IMG]

11. btech29

Looks good Allstar. I bought some ammo today for our trip. I was going to get the Winchester Silver Ballistic tips but settled for the Hornady Vmax instead. I use the Winchester in my 250 and I like them but dang they are high is 223.