Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This picture was take along the side of Hollis Lake Rd. near Van Burne in Crawford County. I'm not a waterfowl hunter so there may be things I don't know :head:, but this just doesn't set right with me. :down:
AGFC has been contacted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The geese appear to have been breasted out, the ducks I can't tell, not just a whole lot there besides the breast.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
To be legal when cleaning a duck or goose it is supposed to be done whole. Defeathered, gutted, wings, feet and head removed... A lot of people that hunt quite a bit have no idea that this is the proper/legal way to do clean a bird. There really isn't much meat other than the breast meat to begin with on a bird. There is a little bit on the legs but that is it, so yeah the law has been broken wether it was done knowingly or not.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I guess that I didn't notice that these look like they were breasted out. The ones that I saw last year were whole. Just dumped on the edge of town.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does anyone really eat snow goose? I tried one once just to see if was as bad as everyone said. The only thing I could compare it to was putting a battery to your tongue.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one that looks breasted out didn't look like a knife job. I think it was chewed out by a scavenger. These were left on the roadside overnight so there was plenty of time for opossums and such to have at them.

I'm also not comfortable with hunters dumping carcasses, breasted or not, on a public right of way. This is just plain bad P.R. If we as hunters intend to protect and preserve our sport we need try to present a positive immage to the non-hunting community. Dumping a pile of dead geese and duck beside a well traveled county road is not the way to do that.

·
Registered
860 Posts
To breast out birds is NOT illegal, You can even transport breast birds, but you have to keep a head or wing attached for i.d. purposes, once at your home you can do with the meat as you see fit. Those birds look to be breasted, though only three can be seen in all those pictures, so hard to say for sure that they were.

I agree with this...

I'm also not comfortable with hunters dumping carcasses, breasted or not, on a public right of way.This is just plain bad P.R.
You posting pictures of such on the www. for the world to see is not helping the P.R. cause of ALL the good guys in hunting either. You would be doing all a favor and take these pictures down.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The one that looks breasted out didn't look like a knife job. I think it was chewed out by a scavenger. These were left on the roadside overnight so there was plenty of time for opossums and such to have at them.
Reggie doesn't agree. Most scavengers don't keep their food in a pile while they eat.

I'm also not comfortable with hunters dumping carcasses, breasted or not, on a public right of way.
X2, part of cleaning any game animal includes proper disposal of all the remains.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
54,080 Posts
It's the un-written law that was seriously broken here; the one where an ethical and concerned hunter will leave no traces of his comings and goings.....burying the remains of his harvest so as not to leave any chance of offending others.......or by burning the remains not unlike a ceremony of appreciation for what he was blessed with. If we all saw hunting this way, there'd be less friction with those who see hunting as arcane and wish to stop it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
breasting out birds is illegal, can't remember legal name but it has something to do with waste. Don't shoot them if u don't eat them. There is plenty of ways to cook them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
these are the greasiest bird you will ever try to cook .....in the matter of crowd control I say shoot as many as you can , but respect the birds and other hunters by disposing of properly . this is wrong if dumped on side of the road . but as far as waste , I believe there was not any because they are horrible to eat but if you let them continue to thrive you can say good by to the ducks cause in previous years the ducks will not hit a field after the geese have been there.not to mention the damages done to golf courses :mad:

so I say shoot till your outta shells...:fit:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
A few years ago I wrote a letter to the main guy at AGFC (Loren Hitchcock) about this very question of breasting out ducks and geese. His response was as follows:

You can not clean waterfowl at a duck camp or any other place (accept a commercial duck cleaning place) unless you leave a head or wing attached. Even then you need to tag your ducks with name, lic number, amount and type of waterfowl, and so on. Now, when you get home you can breast it out or clean it how ever you want to. He went on to say that meat other then the breast is not considered eatable portions. I have that i writing and will keep it till the day I die.

The way we do it at duck camp is: Breast out the ducks and leave the breast hanging onto the wing. You can do this by dewinging the wing at the ball socket of the duck. It is a little bit of a pain but it lets you sleep better at night. Now with all that said sometimes I do keep the legs just because I like the way the little fellows taste. :up:

Now, keep in mind you can not have over your possession limit at camp. I asked about that question as well and he replied: You may not have over your possession limit but you can give your ducks away(with the legal note written to person you gave to) , eat some of them or go home. (But I got to thinking how would those feathers taste on the grill because the second you cut those wings off , you are illegal). I figure on that one maybe we can eat them fast before game warden got there. lol

Then I go to thinking, If I go home with them I would have over my possession limit in my house. Now thats a question I did not ask. :head:

·
Registered
731 Posts
breasting them out here in east Ar. u will get a ticket. As for being greasey if properely cook they are just as good as any duck.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
As long as the snow geese are feeding in rice and bean fields and NOT wheat. They taste just like fried mallard breasts. Spoonies are fine too as long as they have been feeding in grain fields. I dont know about baking them,I am talking about cutting the breasts into strips and frying them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had always thought that breasting out ducks was considered wanton waste. I saw a new item this year on the net and also saw them at Macks. It is a device that connects to a reciever hitch and breasts birds out leaving the wings attached for transport. I was checked by two wardens early this season and asked about this. Breasting a duck is legal according to the warden. Duck has it right in his post. You have to leave a wing or head attached until you get to your home. Duck Clubs and Camps do not count as final destination or home. I was raised to clean a duck completely, but after you clean it and cook it the back and legs usually arent consumed, unless in a gumbo or soup. I agree hunters should properly dispose of dead birds or any other game and not dump it in public. This also goes for picking ducks or cleaning them at a boat ramp for non hunters to see.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts