Securing a trap in the sand

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by NaturalStateNative, Dec 1, 2012.

1. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Ok, I have found a small island on the river that is absolutely lousy with coyotes, even found the den on a high ridge overlooking the sandbar. The problem is that the whole island is nothing but sand so staking of any kind is out. Up in the brush where the den is at a drag would work great, but I want to put some down on the sandbar where they are cruising at night. I thoguht about burrying a cinder block in the sand to run my chain too but it's a pretty long boat ride and I wouldnt be able to take very many. Looking for ideas on a smaller, lighter, stackable alternative.

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Toe sack full of sand buried and tied w/wire.

3. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

If you take to re-bar stakes and drive them in beside each other and in opposite directions sorta like a "V" he will be there in the morning...d2

4. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

a pair of berkshires set 8 to 12 inches apart and tied together will hold in the sand

5. NaturalStateNative

If you do this I can pull them out with one finger

6. NaturalStateNative

what are berkshires?

7. geslayton

geslayton Well-Known Member

Put em on a long chained drag. In that situation I would probably hook to a 8-10 foot long 3 or so inch diameter tree. You should be able to track it pretty easy in the sand, and it will be enough weight to keep it from going a real long way I would think.

8. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

You must use shorter stakes than I do. I do that on the sandbars in the Arkansas river and they hold. Maybe your sand is not as compacted as mine is. I suggest a drag then...d2

9. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

Id use a cable extension to a near by tree.