Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G&F can correct turkey season dates, it's coming in too late in N arkasas. lots of people said they never heard a gobble.This is what G&F can do, cut the limit back to one if there really is a low population. change the youth hunt to after regular season goes out. i heard more shots during youth hunt than opening day of main hunt. move the opening back to 1-4 of april. there are a lot of unhappy hunters and i'm one.:smack:

·
Super Moderator
9,908 Posts
The AGFC doesn't want us shooting turkeys...and they're doing a dang good job.

I probably won't go next year...and I'll buy the cheap deer license so I can hit them in the pocketbook.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
You know how you lose yer shirttail for missing a deer?? Well....I got fouled by a dud shell....and even though I almost pulled it out[one gobbler]I missed....I lost my ponytail....:eek:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What you say may be true. But I personally can't see that it benefits the hunter. If you are not satisfied, then by all means, stand up and let your thoughts be known. I feel you are only hurting yourself by your negativeness toward the G&F. You have a right as a hunter to take part in how your wildlife is managed. Acting more on a mature manner seems like it would help you more than personally trying to get revenge. An old saying goes....don't cut off your nose to spite your own face. I'll aggree with you on the fact that season started too late this year. I didn't get a bird either, but lots of folks did. I think you would benefit yourself more by taking an active stand and voice your opinion when these seasons are decided on. Just my 2-cents. Better luck to you next year and I hope your season is more satisfying than this one.

·
Super Moderator
9,908 Posts
So are you guys saying that you not only won't be turkey hunting, but you also won't be doing a whole lot of deer hunting either. One deer and done?

Better be really selective!
I didn't even shoot a deer this past season...

I did pull a John Stiles though and poof my muzzleloader TWICE at a big buck.

And I am selective. No does. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I don't think turkey hunting in AR is as bad as it could be. We have birds, just not like our neighbors do. Until the AFGC hires some people who can truely make changes happen and keep turkeys from being the bastard childs next to deer and duck hunting, don't expect it to be like OK or MO.

Also, the NWTF, Buckmasters, etc will never get a dime of my money. They are hindering the average hunter

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the youth hunt hurt bad in the Ouachita mountains,they had the turkeys call shy before we got to hunt.You all know I say plenty about the youth hunt but I do think something has to be done about the 4,5,6 yr olds.That picture of those kids in the Petti Jean paper was just rediculous, whoever took those kids and said they killed those turkeys should be ticketed.They're just rubbin it in the face of the AGFC and us!I do feel season opened alittle late.We should all go to the meetings and tell them how we feel.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I may be the only one, but I'm in favor of the late opening - at least for the time being. I personally don't think that a one bird limit would help much as most hunters don't take two birds anyway. I've had more than one biologist explain that bag limits for big game animals is a fairly weak management tool. We have done to the turkey population the same thing we've done to the deer population. That is, we've put excessive pressure on the male of the species to the extent that we've messed up the ratio of males to females.

I suspect the late season opener is something that we may have to live with for a long, long time if we wish to have turkey numbers high enough to smooth out the ups and downs that mother nature naturally gives us. It should be obvious that our turkey flock can't handle year after year of an early season opener. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. We often want to have our cake and eat it too. That is, we want to have liberal season lengths and bag limits, then we complain when we have fewer turkey (or deer) to hunt.

What we need to lobby the AG&FC for is a management plan that will give us a more stable turkey flock over the long run.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
I dontink the late opening hurt us that bad this year I think everything was a few weeks behind, the turkeys were gobbling good on the youth hunt in the area of the Ouahitas I hunted Pressure shut up the birds more than anything as they were looking for hens just not being very vocal in the search!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.