Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else hunting in Oklahoma on Sunday?
I'll be headed to Spavinaw WMA just because it's relatively close to the house. I havent been there yet this spring, but I'm gonna go scout on Saturday. There was some birds there last year, but nothing to write home about. I imagine it'll be a mad house, but there's some rugged country in there. Hopefully, I wont get run over too bad.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Paul Jones and myself are leaving in the morning for a hunt down around Lawton. Hopefully the weather will be decent and the birds gobblin.

·
Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
978 Posts
I'll be heading out to the far Northwest corner of the state tomorrow. We had great luck there last year so hopefully we'll bust'em again this year.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be heading out to the far Northwest corner of the state tomorrow. We had great luck there last year so hopefully we'll bust'em again this year.
Cool... One of these days I'm gonna take some time off and get over there. You hunting public or private land?
There's definitely a ton of birds in the west OK. Last time I drove across on 412 they were everywhere.

·
Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
978 Posts
I'll be hunting some public but mostly private. My dad met a man out there who was the head ranch hand, and he got us permission to hunt there each year. So we have some good places to go. Just an example, last year, my dad was leaving so he stopped by that guys trailor, and that man said there was just 163 turkeys in the field behind his house!!!! They defanitely have plenty of birds out there.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be hunting some public but mostly private. My dad met a man out there who was the head ranch hand, and he got us permission to hunt there each year. So we have some good places to go. Just an example, last year, my dad was leaving so he stopped by that guys trailor, and that man said there was just 163 turkeys in the field behind his house!!!! They defanitely have plenty of birds out there.
WOW! Good luck.
Post some pictures when you get back.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Southwest Oklahoma for us. Never been to the place and don't know what to expect. The owner sent a pic with more turkeys than I care to count in 1 picture. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Spur the places I have hunted in SW OK have all been great places. You will hear as many or more than you did on Mo. in the good ole days. One of the best places I have ever been is around Mangum,I bet there were 100 birds gobblin on the roost those 2 mornings.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I will be in the pan handle the 11th-13th. The guy I am going to hunt with said they are ROCKING. He is seeing up to 20 longbeards in one tree and every tree that is a good roost has birds in it. Birds sure don't roost like that here. I can't wait. If I do get one I will only need to go to Flarida for the slam to be complete.

Boom

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be in the pan handle the 11th-13th. The guy I am going to hunt with said they are ROCKING. He is seeing up to 20 longbeards in one tree and every tree that is a good roost has birds in it. Birds sure don't roost like that here. I can't wait. If I do get one I will only need to go to Flarida for the slam to be complete.

Boom
I think they roost like that over there bc they've got no other option. It is cool to know where you're going to start most mornings.
Good luck on the slam!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Buck and Paul Jones, let me know how you do. I am heading just south of Lawton muself during our opener. I have some work at Fort Sill for a few days, but am sure I can get some morning hunts in.

2dogs

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
2 Dogs,we got back home this afternoon,it maybe still just a few days early,but we still had a great hunt. I killed 2 longbeards yesterday afternoon and Paul got 2 longbeards this morning. I only heard 10 or so yesterday morning and they gobbled till 10oclock or so. Then they started back around 3 yesterday afternoon,I called up my 2 at 4;30 and shot both of them. I was lisyening this morning while Paul was hunting and heard no less than 15 in one small draw. Right now its hard to get away from the jakes,everytime you call it seems like they come running,so dont be impatient if you really want a longbeard.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah Bucks right about the jakes. I had 8 to 10 jakes within 20 yards of me this morning while the long beards lagged behind. The jakes are really coming in to the calls, but the big boys aren't quite ready. I waited on the long beards and it was worth it. :thumb: They're gobbling good, but its a late spring and they're a week or two behind.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Where did you guys go? I'll be in the Faxon area. What's the deal with not checking them West of I-35? Is there not a limit on that half the state. I figure I'll be lucky to get one.

I will be hunting wheat fields and surrounded by pecan trees. I saw pretty good sign while I was out there earlier. My friend has 320 acres, but only sees them on the lower half. 40 acres of the lower half is big woods. Cottonwoods I think. He said he would line up some other places for me as well.

I haven't ever hunted the place before.

Do they decoy well? I bought a B-mobile just for this trip.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts