Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the sights on my 30.30 and ended up with a scratch across the top of the barrel. Anyone have suggestions on what type of touch up paint or sealant I should use on it? I am not worried about appearance, just want to make sure rust does not form. Thanks for the advice?

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
You can try to touch up the blueing with some cold blueing solution. Use a toothpick, and just dampen one tip end and use it like a pen to cover just the scratch. If you use too much, it'll make a "blob" where the cold blue does it's thing. If you just treat the bare metal in the scratch, it will be less noticeable.

Doesn't cost much, and if you do several "coats" you may just blend it in to match the rest of the barrel. Buff the area with a clean rag and oil it down well after you're done to neutralize the blueing and you're all done.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Before you use any kind of blue, make certain the area to be treated is absolutely clean of any oil, even finger prints. I use denatured alcohol. Birchwood Casey also make a cleaner/degreaser solution that works really well. To blend it in, use some 4/0 steel wool, then oil well to stop the bluing process.

· Registered
5,413 Posts
The B-C cold blue is good stuff. I've used it several times, and I don't remember ever having blob up. It isn't a paint or sealer. It's a blend of chemicals that actually changes the metal's color. For the B-C stuff you just degrease, dry, apply, wait 30-60 seconds and wash off. When it dries, reapply if necessary - 3-4 coats gives a nice, deep blue. When you're done, just buff it out with steel wool and you're good to go. Rinsing the bluing off with water is supposed to neutralize it and stop the reaction, but you should put a light coat of oil on anyway to keep it protected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.