Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I have this nice scrape that this buck is actively using. Not sure what time of day or night he is coming to it but it is definetaly active. What can I do to try to increase my options of seeing him there? I had thought of sprinkling some buck urine in it to make him think another buck is chcking it?? Any ideas?

Paul

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Ok... I have this nice scrape that this buck is actively using. Not sure what time of day or night he is coming to it but it is definetaly active. What can I do to try to increase my options of seeing him there? I had thought of sprinkling some buck urine in it to make him think another buck is chcking it?? Any ideas?

Paul
I would set my stand up about 30 yrds away from the scrape, or even the trail he is coming in on. He more than likely is hitting it after dark right now, but I did have a buck hit a scrape 2 years ago at 9:00 a.m back to back mornings. JMO I wouldn't put ANYTHING in it, if it is active he "may" use it all fall/winter. Putting something in it may spooke him somewhat.

· Registered
605 Posts
You could try this. You have to be sure you don't touch it with your bare hands though. Make 1 or 2 mock scrapes right near his. It could piss him off enough to make him come into your spot during daylight. I have tried this before and it did aggravate a buck. He turned around and made scrapes all over the place. But it still doesn't mean he will come around during daylight. This one never did. But... If you are going to hunt by a feeder and expect to get into there before daylight, you are going to run deer off certainly. Not a good combination since they are actively feeding during the dark. If you are hunting trails that are to and from, then you probably will have a better chance.

· Registered
14,538 Posts
Especially when bowhunting, I dont usually hunt sign per say. I hunt areas with sign so I know I'm in a bucks domain. A single scrape is a very small part of the picture.
Put that together with the big picture (other sign you've found, stage of the rut, feeding locations, doe locations, etc). Then setup somewhere in that area where he is not only likely to be moving through, but moving through in the daylight and moving through in a manner where you feel certain he will pass within bow range.

· Super Moderator
14,363 Posts
It is very likely that you have more than one buck working the scrape. At this point, I wouldn't want to do anything that might cause alarm. You said the camera is just a few feet away from the camera. My guess is the deer know where the camera is, and some will walk around it. I've seen it happen numerous times. That can work to your advantage. Keep the camera where it is, but keep watching the scrape. The deer comes into your area, walks around the camera that he knows is there, and has a collision with your arrow. Never knew what hit him! Good luck:thumb: I once had a ladder stand that I kept getting busted in. Deer would come by, see me in the stand, then walk off. I put a loc-on stand just a few feet above that ladder stand---and killed several deer. They just THOUGHT I wasn't there:biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.