Score and/or age of a trophy buck in your eyes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by buckhorn, Dec 16, 2010.

1. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

After seeing all of the why shoot little bucks and different threads about such, what do you deem a trophy in your eyes. I am curious how broad of range there is in what each of us view as a trophy.

No bashing of each others thoughts just curious. I also only want views of what you look for in a Arkansas buck, no other states.

For me I like my first buck to just be a buck that I like. 13 -14 inches wide
    with nice eye guards and good tines. A sound 2 1/2 yo deer.

My second I like for it to be 3 1/2 yo+ I have been fortunate to kill
    2 3 1/2 yo and 1 5 1/2 yo in the last two years and have yet to kill one that scores 125 so I don't care about score just the more mature deer.

2. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

I ain't gonna lie. As far as bucks go, I'm looking for Pope & Young since all I do is bowhunt. All does are tasty trophies. But everybody's different. I can see this thread getting long.

3. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Anything 4.5 and older and 125" plus is a good deer in my book. 140 plus is a real trophy to me and I only have one of those.

4. ARflinger

ARflinger Well-Known Member

Bow- 3 1/2 years old 130" or better

Gun- 3 1/2 or older 150" or better

That is what I consider a trophy BUT, if I limited myself to those restrictions only, there would be a lot less meat in the freezer.:up:

5. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

I could care less about what one scores. I would rather kill one 4.5 or older.

6. cables

cables Well-Known Member

Any deer, espeically with a bow is a trophy in my eyes.

It takes alot of effort, planning, preperation, training, practicing, and a little luck never hurts, to get a deer, so they are all special.

7. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Well-Known Member

i guess to me a trophy would be a deer that i picked to shoot by looking at game cam pics and shoe leather scouting (walking around)

for instance the deer pictured below is on my hit list for 1 reason the cornbreader has eluded me all season although he's primarliy nocturnal he has been seen during daylight hours just not by me:mad: this deer is a trophy in my book reguardless of score or age, he didn't get this way by living next to the highway

Attached Files:

8. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Kansas in Sept.-140 or up
    Kansas in Dec.-130 or up
    Arkansas anytime-125

I didnt put all the fancy .5 stuff. If it is 125" most likely it is mature. If its 140" it dang sure is.

9. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

Anything with four legs, that's brown. :)

10. Any buck that is 125" or bigger is a trophy in my book. However, I had a small 11 inch spread 90" or so 8 point mounted back in 2005 and I considered it a trophy because it was the first deer ever killed off of my parent's 43 acres.

11. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

I wont shoot a buck anymore unless im going to put it on the wall. I took a true trophy this year......an 8.5 year old deer.

12. ss65chvlle

ss65chvlle Active Member

i killed my first buck with a bow this year, and it was 95 inches I was happy but i have passed up a few scrubs this year waith on a P&Y... thats my goal...

13. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

Nice man, you wont see me dogging ya. Right above my head is a 95 in 7 point. Welcome aboard.

14. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

It all depends on the individual hunter and their experience/values etc.
    My grandson age 12 has not killed a deer yet in his young life so any buck right now would probably be considered a trophy.
    My son wants a 10pt or better that will score 130 or better. I want a buck that is close to the truck and easy to get out of the woods.
    It is relative to so many variables/values for each individual that it can only be measured in averages per the many categories that can be defined.
    The one buck limit (where I hunt) now effects what I choose to shoot. With a two buck limit in the past I would take a decent sized buck and then hunt as large a buck as I could find. :head: Something like that! :thumb:

15. BTC

BTC Well-Known Member

Any method- 3.5yrs old 120+

16. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Same here. Never seen a 120 buck in the woods with a weapon in my hand.

17. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

if it will score 125 or better its going on the wall. i dont care how old it is.

100 inch bucks get me pretty dang excited still so i euro mount them :up:

18. duckpond

duckpond Well-Known Member

All depends on where you hunt really. I hunted Bayou meto for a week and saw 17 different bucks, yes 17. Before that week hadnt seen a deer of a stand down there this year. Shot a 110in 8 point only saw one bigger. Ill call that a trophy especially with a bow.

19. hunterman93

hunterman93 Well-Known Member

I live in Kansas so about 150 or so biggest I've killed is still unkown on the exact score guesstmatin 160s non typical.. Dads average out of 13 on the wall about 150ish biggest 186 1/8 littlest 139.

20. I don't gun hunt. I am stick and string only. Honestly the deer I have taken that I am the proudest about was a doe. For years she had busted me out time and time again. Well I finally got her. No she is not on the wall. But she was 7 1/2 year old. I was proud as :censored: to get her.
    As far as bucks go. Don't care about the score. Don't get me wrong if it has a BIG rack I am all the happier but I won't shoot if I think its younger that 3 1/2 I let it walk. Anything over 5 years old is a trophy in my book. The biggest buck I have on the wall is a 93 in. Not big at all. But I am happy with him.