Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know when your scope is too big (power) for the rifle it is on? I bought the wife a Remington 700 youth model a couple of years ago. While the guy was putting on the scope (Tasco 3x9x40), a couple of guys were commenting that I had put way too big of a scope for that rifle. Of course I ignored the comment and still have the combo. She likes it and I quess that is what matters. What are your opinions?
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It,s all about what YOU like and want.

Some folks will not use anything bigger than a fixed 4x. Some folks think that a 50 mm obj. is pointless and that 32 or 40 is plenty.

I, Personally, have only 2 rifle scopes under 12x. One is a 3-9x40 and the other is a 2.5-10x40. I love my 14 and 16 x scopes, and even have a 20x. And to quote Forrest Gump .... I like it a lot.

If you have not ever used one 12x. Or bigger, you owe it to yourself to check one out. It really helps on checking a rack out.... Just make sure she doesn't catch you.

MET

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with Mchael T on this one!!!

Heck, I have a 20 power scope on my squirrel rifle (17 HMR). How else can you see what a rifle will do, if you can't hold on the exact same little spot on the paper at 100 yards! My groups were cut in half if not more, when I went from a 3-9-40 to a 6.5-20-44.

I can see where, some one would say that you put too much glass on a rifle, if they have the mind set. "if I can see it, I can shoot it" With my big scopes, they will see further than I will ever take a shot. You have to know your rifle, your round, your range, and practice what you are going to do in the field. But l can see them before they can see me most of the time!

Get a scope that you are comfortable with, shoot it till you know that the round is going to do, and let the world worry about something important!

Have a great one!

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I am not a guy that likes big scopes. Trust me you can have too much power. I see too many people around here that have like 6-20x50 scopes on a .30-30 where they are only going to get a 50 yard shot. They see the deer, only to not be able to see it in the scope as all they see is a big blob of brown. For a Remington 700, I think the 3-9x40 is almost perfect fit. I have 3-9x40 or 4-12-40 on almost all of my deer rifles, except my .30-30, and it's a 1-4.5x32.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
I am not a guy that likes big scopes. Trust me you can have too much power. I see too many people around here that have like 6-20x50 scopes on a .30-30 where they are only going to get a 50 yard shot. They see the deer, only to not be able to see it in the scope as all they see is a big blob of brown. For a Remington 700, I think the 3-9x40 is almost perfect fit. I have 3-9x40 or 4-12-40 on almost all of my deer rifles, except my .30-30, and it's a 1-4.5x32.

I agree 100%. I think that far too many people put high power scopes on rifles. I see lots of new shooters ask questions about what scope is good for 500+ yard shots. For most of these guys, they couldn't hit a target at 500 yards no matter what scope they have on it.

On my lever guns, I have 1.5x4.5's. I know that they are going to be used in the woods at less than 100 yards, and more than likey under 50 yards.

On my 20" AR that I compete with, I use a 1x4 for targets from muzzle contact distance out to 300 yards. I do like the 6x18 on the 17HMR, though.

·
Registered
11,730 Posts
It just depends on what you are using a rifle for. I like a scope that is mounted close to the barrel as posible. If I'm walking and hunting I like low magnification because of the wide field of view. If I'm stand hunting I don't see where any variable scope would be a problem. 3 to 9s are a very good choice for big game hunting anywhere. More magnification would be ok too.
It's hard to count points without magnification unless a deer is really big.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I think the quality of the scope you choose is the most important attribute to consider. I agree with Mr. C. about magnification. If you find your deer and one hair on his side looks like a well rope, then you have to much magnification for your hunting situation. :thumb:

·
Registered
647 Posts
3x9x40 i hunt mountains and can get 300 yrd shots but i'm older and a lil shakey to shoot on 9 power so i keep it on 5 power. i think most everyone is different, whatever you can shoot the best groups with and feels comfy :flag:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
3x9x40 i hunt mountains and can get 300 yrd shots but i'm older and a lil shakey to shoot on 9 power so i keep it on 5 power. i think most everyone is different, whatever you can shoot the best groups with and feels comfy :flag:
I am like you. Most of my scopes are 3x9x40 which suits me fine. I have 50mm scope on my .300 u.m and plan on dropping down to a 40mm or 42mm. Whatever i shoot usually gets killed on 5x though. I can see well enough on 5X at 10 yards to still put a bullet where i want out to about 50 yards. The only thing a 50mm scope does for me is add weight to the gun. But i am not against a bigger scope, if i hunted out of stands more i would probably like the bigger scopes. I like my guns as compact and lightweight as i can manage to keep them.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
My largest scope is a 3-9x40, and its all I've ever needed. It would be nice to have a 4-12x so I can count points better, but it isn't really necessary. The way I understand it, unless you pay a hefty premium for a true 50mm scope with a larger exit pupil, you aren't getting any more 'light gathering ability' than any 40mm scope, and I've never had a problem seeing well enough during legal shooting light to ID a target and make the shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.