Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally know nothing about them. I have heard that they are dang good in cold water. The Bama rig is not doing it and neither are crankbaits. Thought I may try something new.

·
Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win
10,513 Posts
I've found they work best in sparse grass in shallower water. I fish it slow and once it makes contact with the grass or anything pop the end of your rod lightly and maintain a steady retrieve. 90% of your bight will be right after you pop it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I fish them alot. As said above, they are much better around and in grass than on wood. for some reason they seem to hang up on wood more than a spinnerbait. Most bites come when you rip it out of the grass and it pauses or drops. You want the stretch of mono or floro as it helps the rip/pause action. i also like a heavy cranking rod for same reason.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Everything these guys said! A chatterbait is one of my favorite baits to throw in the spring in the early mornings or cloudy/windy days. Both of my best bass have come on chatterbaits. Try putting a little swim bait trailer on them

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips, fellas. Have Gun, those are some good looking baits. Especially that jig!! I used to be a hard core jig pitcher and swimmer before I quit fishing for a while.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here is my take on a chatterbait...... I like them in late winter BEFORE the spinnerbait bait turns on... I don't have the same rules for a chatterbait as i do a spinnerbait. Clouds are not a must, and neither is wind. They help but aren't necessary. I prefer grass as my main target over wood with them... (I will throw them around wood but I prefer grass if I have a choice.) I think colors should be closer to the jig color you would throw than the sb color you would throw. again... just my opinion.
It has become a go to bait for me in tough conditions and will trigger a reaction bite in situations where they won't touch a spinnerbait but it is not an "all conditions" bait... my best advice is play around with it and figure out how it can work for you.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I tried today after the heavy rains and I couldn't figure out what they wanted. Finally caught one on a jig and then nothing else. Right before dark I put on a chatterbait and wore them out. Missed 2 giants but now I know what to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.