School Me on Buckwheat

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by SwampCat, May 17, 2018 at 1:54 PM.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

one of my bean fields appears to be a loss, so I am wanting to plant something else for the deer this summer - something that hopefully, hogs wont eat. I havent planted buckwheat in the past because of my bees - but where I want to plant it, I have moved my bees.

Do hogs typically eat buckwheat? What kind of browsing pressure can it take. How drought resistent. Will it provide food until frost - or will it give out before then. Anything special about planting and maintaining?

2. turkman

turkman Well-Known Member

SwampCat, I really like buckwheat for wildlife. I have very poor soils( low ph, very low phos/k) but buckwheat grows very well and will produce lots of seed. The one thing I don't have is hogs. I don' know anyone in Alabama, Mississippi, or Georgia that has complained about hogs taking out a buckwheat planting. Buckwheat holds up pretty well to browsing. Anything under an acre may have too much pressure. Buckwheat is geared for a more northern climate. It likes warm temps but not really hot/dry conditions. It' not drought tolerant as something like cowpeas. With our hot summers buckwheat will set seed in 60days(maybe slightly longer). If you wantg buckwheat to last long just bushhog it or lightly disk it after it sets seed and you will get another 60 days out of it. You may repeat again until first frost. Buckwheat is very easy to grow. I use a no-ill drill but disking it in will work just fine. The one concern I have for you is I think the bees will find it. It is amazing the buzz sound you will hear around a buckwheat planting. Iv'e never seen/heard anything like it. Side note-Buckwheat flowers in just a couple of weeks.

JB Weld likes this.

3. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

The best thing about buckwheat for me is that it grows in poor soils. What Turkman said above about bees is right. Mine was covered in bees. I can't speak to the hog issue because I don't have any, but I had a small plot last year and the deer wiped it out once they found it. With a big plot I don't think that would be an issue. Like mentioned above, you can get a double crop if you time it right.

4. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I dont care if bees find it where I want to plant it - eight miles from my bee yard - at least those that find it wont be my bees. I may give it a try.

JB Weld likes this.
  5. turkman

turkman Well-Known Member

SwampCat, good luck with this planting. Keep us updated and post some pics. One thing I really want to try and I think would make an awesome combination plot is buckwheat/sunhemp(esp for deer). Again I have NOT tried this planting but how these plants grow and the timing seems perfect for each other. Buckwheat grows really fast and so does sunhemp but buckwheat out grows the sunhemp at first to help get sunhemp established. Once the buckwheat sets seed in 60days bushhog the field and its off again with new lush growth. When sunhemp gets really tall it may not be as attractive to the deer but by bushhoging you have all this fresh growth of sunhemp and a new start of buckwheat. You can repeat till frost. Very good for your soil and good protein for the deer. Both of these plantings will terminate at frost. You can go right in over these and plant your fall plot. All this is from other people planting and research I have done. The last time i knew sunhemp was illegal in arkansas(not sure if this still is true). I think this combo might be as good as it gets for deer besides soybeans/Cowpeas. Another side note on buckwheat-dove/turkey LOVE the seed.

6. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

Sunn hemp is listed as a noxious weed for Arkansas.