Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried to research and the more I read the more confused I get. I am considering getting a 9mm ar style pistol and would like to put a red dot and light on it. Is any gun bought as a pistol good? Do I have to worry about the “points”? I’m sure the answer is it’s anyones guess but do we expect them to stay “non-stamp” items?? I’m sure there’s more but that’s a start.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The new 'point' system muddies the water a bit... you should find the 3-page checklist and read it subjectively and then watch several Utube splanations before making up your mind on what you think...

I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one but, As I Understand it... First they determine if the gun is a pistol, Rifle, SBR or "firearm" (bbl under 16" but OAL over 26" and not a SBR) based on OAL, BBL length, weight and presence of 'stock' or 'brace'... (could also fall under AOW... any other weapon)... if bbl is under 16" then eliminate the rifle... If OAL is over 26" then it's not a pistol... there may be other criteria... Some things are gauged without "accessories" (flash hider, brace etc) and others are with (complete unit as configured).

Since you're looking at a 9mm pistol... your probably going to have a bbl <16" and OAL <26" so the main concerns are if there is a brace... that will be subjected to the point system and different styles will have different points... and LOP (length of pull)... plus any "accessories" you have like sights etc.

Someone pointed out that there are some things that you can get dinged on more than once under different line items, so be careful... It's a long process and each aspect has to be evaluated individually... even the length of the buffer tube can matter...

Also, the evaluating agent may have his own opinions as to what is ok or not...
This points system is a going to be a real problem for anyone who wants a short AR...

Off the cuff, I would guess that if you bought a 'pistol' without a brace, you would be GTG...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ok, I guess I've been out of the game too long. Have a few registered SBRs from way back. Don't even know what y'all are referring to with this "point system" so disregard my previous post.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
They published it in the federal register a couple of times with a couple mods...
So be sure you get the current official version... I think the latest was Jan this year and it became effective 8/1/22...

I don't ping that gov website but that is where your likely to find it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got to love the government making things simpler....not!! That's where I got confused it appears that the ar-9 with a device off the back that might could be shouldered..lol can be bought, from a reputable online dealer, and sent to an FFL like any gun. I would think that would mean its good or they couldn't sell it that way but all the point crap made it impossible for me to figure out. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
XDM40
984 Posts
In my humble opinion, the ATF has been exceeding the scope of their capacity, they were not meant to change rules or current laws. They were created to be enforcers of current law, nothing more.
My AR pistols are just that, built to my specs and will always remain just AR pistols.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I think I got it but my goodness. So the pistol can be purchased because it falls just under on points but I have to be careful to not put iron sights on it....LOL Because obviously iron sights are a danger to the public. Cant make this stuff up.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yeah, something like that...
in the case of sights, it seems like a catch-22 situation and it also becomes a functional problem...

Irons sights whether peep style flip-ups or a front A-block w/ A2 style rear are normally found on rifles... so IMO that's why they get points... even a reflex (which would seem like a normal choice) gets a point... anything with a magnifier gets points and a scope gets points due probably because of eye-relief...
Even NO sights gets point... how does that compute?

I think I saw a non-flip rear iron available that has the typical pistol square notch, that might pass the test, but IDK how one can align irons when the gun is strapped to your forearm and not shouldered... slow and hard to align... even the reflex seems hard to use without a sandbag rest... maybe use the old bullseye stance...
try holding a sledgehammer out at arms length just holding the end of the handle...

What if you have a barrel with the A-block front iron, but no rear of any kind? Does it acquire points?

It seems they are going to get you on sights in some fashion regardless...

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You know what if you want it and can legally buy it then do it. Don't overthink it, it won't be law enforcement coming for our guns if it comes to that. ATF created their own mess by not being clear on their intent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts