School Defense Option Poll. Lots of them.

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by johnf, Dec 24, 2012.

What will make our schools more save?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Armed guards

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Arming/Training willing administrators

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Arming/Training willng teachers

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Arming/training all willing staff

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  5. Closed campus with high fences and only one exit/entrance

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. Watchdog program with armed/trained parents/volenteers

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. Do away with gun free zones and allow anyone with a CCL to carry

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  8. Ban assault weapons/hand guns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Allow schools to use any combination of these they see fit.

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  10. Trust in our government to do the right thing for us.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I know these aren't the only options, but our polls only give you 10.

This is not a public poll, and you can pick as many as you want. Other options are welcome. Honestly I've not seen a single opinion in any of these threads that wasn't valid in some situation.

I think we all can agree what doesn't work (our current plan). Here's a poll that I think may be better.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

So only two people biting today?

3. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

security...

Having locked doors makes sense. Don't most of us lock the doors to our homes when we leave or when we sleep? DUH.....

Having a security guard (preferably armed) makes sense. Lets face it. Criminals like easy pickens. Thiefs don't want to be caught. Mass shooters seek out places without armed security because they fear an armed response to their actions. They seek out buildings with easy access. They don't want to have to get past locked doors. They don't want to sign in at a desk and face an armed guard to gain access.

I hate to say that no matter of security will stop all mass shootings. But we can deter a lot of them.

Miketyson26 :flag:

4. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

5. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Well. I would but, when I attempted to have discussions in other threads, I was attacked with an attitude. Therefore I choose to abstain.

6. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm willing to hear your opinion... :head:

Miketyson26 :flag:

7. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I think it's difficult to tell a person's attitude from differing opinion on the internet flydown. If you felt like any of my responses were like that I can assure you they were not intended to be. I did apparently missed the obviously effective "lock the door" option on this this particular poll. Not that I don't think locking the doors is effective, I do, and most schools are already doing that. Many of us want to focus on our own personal solution when the truth is many options would be effective. Some are deterrents, some are responses. I think both should be present.

8. QuarterBore

QuarterBore Well-Known Member

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? In the real world, people debate and disagree with each other.

9. http://www.schoolsecurity.org/

We had these folks come down several years ago and check our school out and work with local police on several situations that could happen (and have already happened around the globe).. It was for sure an eye opener..

10. bgkv77

bgkv77 Well-Known Member

I am sure one thing most everyone here will agree with is the last choice on the poll is a no go.

11. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    My neighbor talked to me about the security plan at the church he attends. Something like thier program would work well for schools also.

12. sricen

sricen Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I liked most, but two I wasn't too crazy about. Trust the government :fit: , and the allow anyone with a CCL. Most companies have a more rigorous training program for new employees then our current CCL program. I would like to see the “no gun free zones” go away, but would like to know that for those carrying within close quarters; they have done more than take an 5-8 hour class. Would also like to see those that receive the more rigorous training be allowed to carry openly versus concealed.
    Level 1: Open carry in your car (one or two days)
    Level 2: Concealed carry in open areas (street, parks, etc) (one week)
    Level 3: Open or conceal carry in all places including close quarters (stores, restaurants, etc) (two weeks)
    Level 4: Open or conceal carry in all places as well as take on security details for schools, churches, stores, etc (three or four weeks)

Just my 2 cents.

13. QuarterBore

Level 4 is more firearms training than LEOs and most military get. You've got to keep in mind that this is all for a threat that is so statistically small that it is almost completely unlikely to happen to any single person.

14. sricen

So, drop level 4, and keep 1-3. Naturally Arkansas ever went this direction with our CCL this would be hashed out with much greater detail. Just would like to see something better than 5-8 hrs and a back ground check.

15. sricen

Sorry, when I refer to training, I'm not talking about target shooting or how to handle your weapon. I'm talking about those two items plus some real life scenarios, using training rounds like the military.

16. QuarterBore

Good luck with that.

17. sricen

Why good luck with that?

Cost, willingness, or other?

18. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I think probably cost and liberal fear.

19. QuarterBore

Cost, logistics, willingness, etc....

I think you've surpassed the point of diminishing returns.

20. sricen

I think the liberal factor would be the biggest. As far as cost, probably not so much. Yeah there will be some, but not most.

My reasoning.
    We can drop a grand on a nice Bow setup, a grand on a nice rifle, a grand on hunting between deer corn, lease fees, camp supplies, duck season, turkey season. Met a guy today trying to sell two grand worth of TC Encore so he could buy an AR15. Then we have fishing. How many people just dropped a grand in the past week to get them an AR15, AK, some extra high capacity mags because they are fixing to ban them.

I bet it would get a bigger turn out then we might think. I could be wrong though.