Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you sentloc or not? I do Pest control for a living, spraying yards and eves of houses. I'm exposed to some strong smelling chemicals all day. I could wash with order stopping soaps and use cover scents and still get busted by an old doe. I went out and payed big bucks for my first sentloc suit in 2003. Ever since I have harvested some good deer that walked down wind of my tree stand. I love watching the old does milling around my tree for minutes at a time never knowing that I'm there. I have two suits now and looking to buy a new set some time soon. I have found that the under garments are cheaper on the wallet and work great also. It works for me. How about you

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Do you sentloc or not? I do Pest control for a living, spraying yards and eves of houses. I'm exposed to some strong smelling chemicals all day. I could wash with order stopping soaps and use cover scents and still get busted by an old doe. I went out and payed big bucks for my first sentloc suit in 2003. Ever since I have harvested some good deer that walked down wind of my tree stand. I love watching the old does milling around my tree for minutes at a time never knowing that I'm there. I have two suits now and looking to buy a new set some time soon. I have found that the under garments are cheaper on the wallet and work great also. It works for me. How about you
what brands have you tried? I'm thinking about getting a set but don't know much about them.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried sentlok and sent bloker both work great. I'm looking to buy the Scentlok Base Slayers top and bottoms from basspro. price varies if you buy black or camo. I would like to buy the camo and just hunt in them for the first two weeks of October.
Noting like hunting in your underware:clap: No one will ask to go hunting with me that way:up:

P.S. Don't forget the hood to cover your breath and gloves and now the socks to cover your skunk like feet. LOL

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm looking to buy the Scentlok Base Slayers top and bottoms from basspro. price varys if you buy black or camo. I would like to buy the camo and just hunt in them for the first two weeks of October.
Noting like hunting in your underware:clap: No one will ask to go hunting with me that way:up:
what are those going to run $$? I'll look it up, sorry.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It's been proven that Scentlock is a scam. They work until they've got to be "recharged", but there's no means available to heat the carbon to a temperature that's hot enough to re-activate it.

In other words, they work if you throw them away and buy new ones every time they're due to be reactivated.:up:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been proven that Scentlock is a scam. They work until they've got to be "recharged", but there's no means available to heat the carbon to a temperature that's hot enough to re-activate it.

In other words, they work if you throw them away and buy new ones every time they're due to be reactivated.:up:

I like to put them to the test, I will be driving in my truck with my sentlok sute on early in the morning and pass some gas,:razz: I cant smell a thing. I know its working.:biggrin: http://www.scentlokscience.com

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I am one that does not believe all the Scent Loc hype. Sure, carbon absorbs odors, that is proven. However, I believe there is absolutly no way to recharge Scent Loc clothing. I actually do own a pair of scent blocker base layers, but only because I got them on sale and they are well built and they were cheaper than the base layers I was gonna buy which were regular price. I wear them and think nothing of the Scent blocker ability, only that they seem to be well built and wick moisture very well.

If they could somehow prove that they can be recharged in a dryer, then I would believe in them 100%.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

This has been my experience as well. I own 2 sets of scent lock clothing. Both seemed to work when new, but over time their effectiveness diminished despite many, many attempts to recharge them. I will not be purchasing new carbon clothing. They are just way too expensive for their short window of effectiveness.

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
All the carbon clothing is a bunch of crap....well the part about recharging it in a dryer I don't know about ya'll but my dryer don't reach 1200 degrees...?????? And I don't don't want it too......

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scentlok works for me. Hunting the wind is like hunting in a vortex here in the Ozarks. The video shows that rubber boots don't work either,
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=734684
Deer do not have our scent to follow and they are not trained to hunt us like a good dog. I will never say that something will hide our sent 100%. Sent shield says 99%. who is going to sue them?
But they all help I will never step in the woods without rubber boots scentlok and scent shield.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The science behind Scent Loc and it's competitors is junk science at its best. There is no way the heat from an ordinary dryer can regenerate the activated carbon.

Everyone that believes talks about deer being downwind and not smelling them. Happens to me all the time. You can't see wind so we sometimes forget that it moves in 3 dimensions not 2. Just because a deer is downwind of you doesn't mean he is in your scent stream. The sales pitch, "Forget the wind just hunt" is the most ignorant, down right irresponsible bit of commercial propaganda ever.

Hey if you feel it works for you and gives you more confidence, go for it. I'll take that money and spend it on something I think gives me a better chance at success.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Havent bought into the carbon clothing hype since learning about carbon in chemistry class in college. Im not so sure you can get that stuff hot enough to reactivate it. So whats the life of this stuff if you cant reactivate it and everybody in the store has touched it?

LH

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't bought in to the carbon hype either. I just keep my camo in a container with a Hunter Spec. scent wafer, use their body wash, scent spray and pin a couple of wafers on. Has worked well for me so far.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
"Unlike a common kitchen sponge, you can’t just leave it on the counter and let it dry out. In order to re-activate activated-carbon, it must undergo a process called Pyrolysis. To fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.

This is scientific fact and is even stated in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide No. DG1110-1-2, if you’d like to check it out for yourself. This fact is not however mentioned on any of the popular scent elimination clothing manufacturers’ websites."

Here's an informative article. Ya'll can read it and come to your own conclusions.:up:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.