Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Had an older man that is a straight up killer tell me a couple years ago to throw all that spray and scent away detergent away and just was your clothes in baking soda. Wasn’t sure about it at first but hard to argue with his success. Noticed a difference instantly and now that’s pretty well the only scent control I use other then the shampoo and soap.
How much baking soda per load?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I tried ozonics before, and I believe they couldn’t smell me but they sure as heck could here the thing running. So instead of smelling me downwind they just walked around in bow range staring up at me.
I just hunt the wind, and usually smoke myself and hunting clothes up around the campfire. It has worked the best for me.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I used to use the HS fresh earth spray and or scent wafers years ago. Eventually came to the conclusion you can never completely eliminate your scent. Maybe you can suppress some of it but if a buck smells even a little he gone so why go through the hassle of whatever ritual you do to stay scent free. That said…. I did have a buddy talk me into buying a can of the dust last year. I couldn’t say whether it worked or not. I didn’t have and deer blow at me on the stand but I’m not willing to give camo dust the credit. I didn’t even use it on some hunts.

·
Premium Member
34,600 Posts
Ok!Ok!! Here's how you do it! Get some medicine Bottles! Put a couple cotton balls in bottle..Couple drops of Squirrel pee.
KEEP CAP ON BOTTLE!! DO NOT TAKE IN YOUR HOUSE!! ask me how I know!!
Put in Hunting shirt pocket or vest or pack!!
When you get in your stand" wind don't matter anymore!!
Take cap off!! Your ready to hunt!! Any place any wind!!
Deer are eating what Squirrel are eating!!
Have had Deer come in looking for the Squirrel!!
Good Hunting.".Aim small miss Small"

·
Registered
836 Posts
Baking soda absorbs odor. You don’t want to be absorbing odor. No different than anything else, hunter soap is just relabeled scent free detergent. Nothing new. No science. Nothing fancy. Just a different bottle.
View attachment 373482
Dollar Store
You do you bud. Everyone has something they believe in but I’ve tried bout everything and can honestly say using baking soda has been the only thing I’ve actually noticed a difference with whether it be deer, hogs, or bear.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Does it hurt to cut down on scent the best you can? Absolutely not. Is it necessary to use it to be successful? Absolutely not. I believe you can cut down on your odor, but it takes extreme planning and dedication. But you’ll still smell like you. I’d argue that 99.9% of the time someone claims they had X product on and a deer was standing down wind and never smelled them, it was because thermals were pulling their scent in a direction that wasn’t at the deer.

I used to buy into the scent control stuff, then one season i decided to not use any (except scent free deodorant) and nothing changed. Then i started paying more attention to thermals and wind direction when approaching an area, deer sighting went up. Now before i even leave the house, i look at wind directions and factor in thermals and know where to go and where not to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did buy some camo dust this year. I have a few spots where I have to go in where they come in... So, I will see. Thing is, they always still come in.

No I do have a challenge to only wear flannel and not all camo this year. Field pants and camo.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts