Scarheads 2017-18 trapping thread

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by scarhead, Dec 27, 2017.

1. scarhead

scarhead Well-Known Member

Guess I'll start a thread to keep up with my trapping season. Set a dozen no 2 bridgers Monday on my lease. Plan on running for 2 weeks. First night check had a nice 20.25lb tom IMG_0482.PNG

Allenn, Wayne Watson, armyguy and 3 others like this.
  2. scarhead

Set another dozen Tuesday. So I've got 24 sets out. 2nd check this morning. Cold and windy. One gray fox.
    IMG_0384.JPG

k9trapper, Allenn, po boy and 5 others like this.

3. scarhead

Check day 3. Cold!!! Ground starting to freeze. Heater in truck wasn't working for some reason. If I was a better trapper, it would have been a real good check. Had one popped by a coyote, not sure how I missed him. Had 3 other sets dug around, messed with by coyotes, but didn't step on the pan. Dealing with coyotes can be frustrating at times. Had 2 coyotes, and a medium size bobcat for the check, so overall, not a bad morning.
    IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0389.JPG

Didn't have time this morning to reset/remake, so I will get by this afternoon to clean up and get everything redone.

k9trapper, SwampCat and meatgravy like this.
  4. SNAREMAN

SNAREMAN Well-Known Member

5. scarhead

Nothing this morning. Had one trap popped by a deer. Everything else was untouched.

6. meatgravy

meatgravy Well-Known Member

Same here. Hopefully that get back to moving before the next front.

7. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

I bet the critters move tonight.

8. scarhead

Another 0 this morning. Had a bobcat but he escaped as I️ was pulling up to him. One other set dug out.

9. meatgravy

That sucks. Had to pull traps today. Ended with another gray and grinner. Good luck the rest of your check Scarhead.

10. scarhead

Thanks. I’m thinking about pulling mine tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Taking the week of the 13th off to trap for a week.

curdog1 likes this.
  11. scarhead

6CCE0AAF-DEB7-4D36-A38C-438BCD4C4643.jpeg One coyote this morning. Pulled everything today. Going to rest for a couple of weeks and try it again.

meatgravy likes this.
  12. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

Nice job ya. All the coyotes I am catching r eat up with mange. I snared one yesterday look almost like a hairless dog. Sad to see them that way...

13. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

Looks like the this cold weather would weed out the coyotes with out hair.

14. bullcreekboy

bullcreekboy Well-Known Member

We can hope!

15. scarhead

The 3 I’ve caught so far have had all their hair. Due a mangy one. The last 2-3 years it seems like 1 out of 3 has mange.

16. varmit_master

The ones I have caught looks very bad. I have a picture of the last one. It was sad case. Looks like it was in pain. Sores on it red blooding. I shot it drugged it to treetops. Took my snare off. I have caught fox in there. They r in good shape. I dont know how to post a picture.

17. scarhead

Leaving at noon for our annual, week long, trapping trip. Hopefully, service will be good enough to give updates. Hauling 6 dozen foot traps, and a bunch of snares. Buddy will have about the same. Weather looks decent, nice and cold. Look forward to this all year, but will be whooped by Sunday.

armyguy, gravedigger30 and meatgravy like this.
  18. meatgravy

Good luck Scarhead sounds like a lot of fun.

19. varmit_master

6 coons opossum big female cat. I snared the cat. I have a few dp snares and 160s out. Got to get some traps set. IMG_20180112_151626_832.jpg

20. varmit_master

A hawk got into one of my coons. Good size coons.