Scag ?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by David_M, Dec 19, 2010.

1. David_M

David_M Well-Known Member

Chipped a big piece of my scag off my motor Saturday mornn anybody no of someone that can weld a new one on(cast aluminum ) or another way of fixing it?

2. jla

jla Well-Known Member

I use a guy near Stuttgart, he's done other work for me and replaced a skeg in one instance, he gets the work I need done. That said, a good welding shop in your area that can do aluminum should be able to fix you up.

Depending on how much welding is needed, read that as how much heat they are going to put into the casting, you may need to dis-assemble the gear case. Sometimes they must get it hotter than the seals need to endure, also some won't do it with the lube in there

3. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

When I seen the title I thought not another Hillary thread.:smack:

4. Yell County Bowhunter

Yell County Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Without seeing a picture of how much is missing, it's hard to be for sure, but If there's not much missing, just run it...we use to run 150 HP on bass boats that had parts missing from the scag...if you don't notice it when running, don't worry about it...:up:

5. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

Bray Sheet metal in LR can prob do it, they do all kinds of crazy welding jobs

6. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

John Brown Welding in NLR/Sherwood has done several for me as well as a cavitation plate and multiple props. He is on Maralynn sp? (the road that runs next to the new wal-mart in Sherwood) I highly recommend him, and his prices are very good.

7. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Have someone do it that is familiar with the job. I had a guy that knew how to weld but didn't use a heat sink or anything to keep the rest of the lower unit cool. It looked great. But the next time I bumped something with mine the lower unit shattered in the middle of the gear housing.

8. David_M

Thanks for the info. Shouldn't be to big of a deal to fix

9. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

no big deal i broke half of mine off once and happened to get the other half back! it was cbent but for less than 100 had it straightened and welded back on. i suggest changingn the lower unit oil and the prop seal after this is done if you dont have it done at a boat shop. Any respectfull boat shop should be able to handle this job with no problem in just a few days maybe shorter if you willing to pay to jump up in the wating line!

10. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Southfork Boats in Lonsdale.

They welded my cavitation plate back up and it looks brand new. No bead. Gailen took his time so he didn't get the seals too hot. Couple of days and less than a hundo... looks brand new.

11. David_M

Yeah I plan on taken it to gailen herd he's the go to guy for this sort of problem Plus i like the fact I'm not gonna have to tear my lower unit apart herd good things about him