Say what you will, but.............

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by johnf, Jan 17, 2008.

1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I saw 4 half starved begals in the 3 miles that I drive to the spot I bow hunt. All of them looked about half dead and all were wearing hunter orange collers.:mad:

2. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Dang blasted rabbit hunters.........:mad:

3. jake

jake Well-Known Member

Hope you gave the owner a call.

4. Mainbeam

Mainbeam Well-Known Member

My experience with rabbit hunters is that they take care of their dogs. They have never, to my knowledge, trespassed on my property. I saw a beagle twice yesterday on the road between Star City and Pine Bluff and he chased my truck. He was likely a rabbit dog but most of the dogs I see (and I see a bunch) now are left over from the deer hunt. Most of them are long legged, skin and bones and are wild as a buck. They will stand and look at you but when you try to get close they take off.

5. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

These dogs were the long legged beagals and they looked like the "crackheads of the canine world". Obviously some deer dogs that were left to die.

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam Well-Known Member

I have been all over the place in the last month and I see more starving dogs from Nashville west into Oklahoma and north to waldron. Maybe in other places too but these are really hot spots.

7. theridgehunter

theridgehunter Select Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

I was squirrel hunting a WMA some years back and came across of starved deer dog. Deer season had been over for 4 weeks! He was in really bad shape. I got the number off his collar and called the owner. He seemed almost annoyed that I called him. He asked me to describe the dog to him, as he had lost three during the season. The owner was about 30 miles away, so I offered to meet him halfway with the dog. He actually got irritated! I don't think he even cared, but he knew he had to get the dog. This is just one more reason some deer dog runners give the rest a bad name.

8. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Must have been one of those $10K huntin' dogs someone was posting about a while back on dog hunting threads. Said that he would shoot you or sue you if you shot one of his high-dollar dogs when it trespassed....

9. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Q: What's the difference between a $10K hunting dog and a pile of fur in the ditch?

A: About 4 months apparently.:cool:

10. Q: what's the difference between a dead hunting dog and a dead stray?
    A: who owns it

if a person doesn't take care of their dogs they do not deserve to hunt with them.

some of the guys i know that squirrel hunt on public ground have had dogs shot by bow hunters this season. which leads me to my next riddle...

Q: whats the difference in one of my dogs that gets shot and some one else's?
    A: the lawsuit after the fact:cool:

11. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point you make about the squirrel dogs. I've been bow hunting about 3 or 4 times that I've seen squirrel dogs. Strangest thing, not a single one of them were alone. The owners were within sight of every one of them. Most of them were surprised to see me up in a tree, but they all were very nice.

That's the difference to me in small game dogs and deer dogs. What I've seen is care, control and respectfulness with rabbit, squirrel and bird dogs. I've yet to see that in practice with a single deer dog owner.

12. all of my squirrel dogs hunt close, most do. i try not to turn loose any where close to other hunters because it just causes problems.

luke:thumb:

13. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Did have a guy point a 12ga. up in the tree I was in once. I think he may have messed himself when he saw me, I know I did.:hair:

14. If the were half dead why didnt you do the humane thing and make them full dead??:confused:

15. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I was driving down a hilly and curvy part of hwy 10. All I had was a bow anyway.

16. I can understand that but would you have took them out of thier misery if you had a gun?

17. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

If I was in the woods and had a gun I probibly would have brought them home with me.:smack:

18. Oh man the word SOFTY comes to mind!!:biggrin:

19. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

That's not funny, Shut up man. (spoken with the artificially low voice of a 15 year old) lol

20. :biggrin:

Been there before..........at one time I had 9 dogs ...........all cause I had a soft heart.............they keep an eye out for me while mine are closed at night.:biggrin: