Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the subject of whether or not to allow spinning wing decoys, I saw something last night that made me SICK!!
Not wanting to start something here, but did anyone see the show on the Outdoor Channel that showed the guys (5 or 6) hunting ducks in Canada. I don't begrudge anyone having the hunt of a lifetime, but let's get REAL!!! These guys were set up in a dry field, Canada goose decoys out, layout blinds cammoed, and ROBO's in place, and the SHOOT was on!!! Flock after flock were magnatized into the SWD's. I saw one flock of about 150 that actually tried to land on the hunters, 6 or 7 were killed, the remaining flock circled the field and came RIGHT BACK IN, just to lose another 6 or 7!!! Now I ask you, Is this waterfowl hunting, that's what "they" kept calling it. I am a devoted, die in the wool duck hunter, and like bringing home limits as well as the next guy but this actually made me SICK!! If it made me sick, what do you think people that don't duck hunt, that might have seen this, think?? This wasn't duck HUNTING, it was duck KILLING!! If I had the money to take a trip to Canada, I'd have to deer hunt, I couldn't participate in something like that!! If all you want to do is shoot, go to a skeet range and blast away but don't destroy something the majority on this forum dearly love!!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thats exactly the way it was the first 2 years we used robo's.I actually think it was 98 and 99,we got a jump on most of the other hunters in our area because I had read something about a farmer in Ca. who was messing with a different kind of decoy.I called him and talked to the guy and he sent me one. It was simply amazing. Even before the first year was over,I began to see where these things could hurt more than they help.And like you said it was more of a shoot than a hunt.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have hunted in Canada and that is how it is. The guide we hunted with sometimes used spinning wing decoys and somtimes not eaither way we got our limit in a couple of hours and sometimes faster with out the mojo's the fact is that up there you can quack with your mouth and the come right in. it is due the fact that it is the first time they have ever been shot at in there life time, and like there name says they are green up there and unfortunatly by the time they get here they have been shot at by every sky busten fool out there and every one you do not kill you just made it harder for the next guy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went to Canada in 03,04 and 06. Ducks do the craziest stuff up there. Half of them are young ducks. We hunted in a puddle of water maybe the size of an avg living room in a house, decoys wouldn't even float up right. 24 ducks in 20 minutes, little calling and no cover. I want to go back so bad. If you ever get the chance to go you gotta do it. 8 ducks and 8 canada geese per person per day. take six guys and shoot 75+ birds a day.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Canada is awesome.....I however won't ever go again. I don't have anything against those who do at all, but I am also quick to point out to my buddies who do........don't come back here and gripe about seasons in AR.

8 ducks a day is very true. They can also be ALL hens. The majority of the harvest in Canada, while its not much compared to ours, is young birds some of which have never seen a decoy, heard a call, or wose yet seen a ROBO.

I do think people need to go see it once at least, but personally I can't go do it anymore.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think the robos should be ban flyway wide, and the limit should be the same in canada as it is here, not 8 ducks on one flyway 6 on the other, and 9 on another. They should have a 1 hen limit in canada and 4 mallards total, they are just taking away from what would eventually get down here. I don't like to watch "hunting" shows that are like that, it don't matter if its ducks, or pen raised deer/ whatever. Some of those shows are ridiculous, and the duck blasting is as well, what happened to sportsmanship and conservation? The general public will always view hunters as killers and shooters and gun happy beer drinkers as long as these shows are made and drunk fools hunt and get stupid in the woods. :banghead:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
This has nothing to do with AGFC. It's time for the feds to take over and make some regulations that are equal across the flyway. Being were talking about migratory birds any rule that applies in one spot should apply in another spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.