Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the scout rifle off gunbroker, a ffl dealer accepted the mailing, so in a couple weeks, we will have a new family member... lol. comes with a 10 round magazine, supposed to be the same pattern as an accuracy international magazine, so I guess some of those will fit it. we ordered dies to use in our old rcbs press... need to find some brass... anyone got any? we found 1000 cases for mid 300's online- I may go that route. Ill need to find bullets too... prob gonna get a 150 grain. who has an opinion on a cheap but stable bullet. I am thinking I want an old style bullet, soft lead with a copper jacket. nothing fancy like those solid copper rounds or hollow points. looking to reload in bulk and stockpile... we have most of the components, but not quite enough for the target amount.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.308 lol i forgot to say that... we wanted a common round and something that is versatile.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reloading components are really hard to find right now and primers are the hardest, if you have primers you are way ahead in the game. I like Nosler bullets and I haven't had any luck finding those either especially 30 cal., powder was available at Don's Weaponry in NLR the last time I was there but that was a few months ago.

Enjoy the rifle and good luck finding what you need!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cheap but stable 150 grain would be the Speer flat base. They are selling for less than twenty cents a piece when you can find them in stock. I bought some on Midway a week or so back. You might check grafs for some prvi, they are getting good reviews although I can’t speak for the bullets. Brass is OK, just a little less powder capacity than some other cases. Primer and powder will be your biggest battle....but eventually we all hope they will come around again. Who knows at what price. Be careful if you are new to the online game. Might ask on here before you send your CC info to some scammer. If nobody on here has dealt with them successfully, that should tell you something.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I just googled prvi... serbian.. does the "less powder capacity" suggest thicker case walls? I guess since they have been in biz for a long time, I assume they are of decent quality and are safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
so I just googled prvi... serbian.. does the "less powder capacity" suggest thicker case walls? I guess since they have been in biz for a long time, I assume they are of decent quality and are safe.
I have shot 1 box of those in 7mm-08 and they were fine, no issues and definitely accurate enough in my gun to take a deer. I saved the brass however I have not reloaded any of them yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The PRVI brass must be thicker in the base area, I can’t tell that anything is different in the neck. I’ve used the brass in 270 and 7mm08, it is consistent, loads well, and holds up well, I’ve never got anything from them that wasn’t good stuff. But the loads I work up in Winchester brass, for example, show pressure signs in PRVI brass, and the cases are noticeably fuller with the same charge — which is why I figure the pressure is higher. Good news is that they shoot to the same POI with a little less powder. PRVI tends to be my most accurate brass in 270, so I save it for group therapy, but only by a smidge. My 270 isn’t picky.

I looked at the Starline site today, and they have several of the 308 family brass in stock, but no 308 yet. I figure the non-ammo manufacturers might have brass available before the ammo folks do — just because they are using all the brass they make for ammo and will be for a while. If I were a to venture a guess, I would say you will be able to buy all the brass you want before you can buy all the powder you want.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
I bought several boxes of prvi last year for my 308. Only shot up a box so far and at 100yd i couldn't tell a difference in them and the Winchesters i had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts