Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I always shoot, clean, shoot, clean for 10 shots then shoot 3, 3 shot groups while cleaning between groups then clean after about 20 more shots and then I consider it broke in. Just the way I do a new rifle barrel.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Don't get too wraped up in it. It's like an iron skillet, you've just gotta do it till it's right. Shoot a couple dozen through it and clean it real good. After that, shoot it till your groups start straying, then clean it. I played by the Army's rules and cleaned them till I could eat off of them, and I've played it by my rules and cleaned them once every 10 years whether they needed it or not. Both of them work. If your weapon isn't rusting, deteriorating, or "walking groups", you're fine.:up:

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
You are going to find 2 opinions on the break in procedure: One says shoot and clean, repeat. The other says that you do more damage by cleaning than by shooting.

Pick which one you like and go with it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean,Shoot & Clean

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Seems like I read some article by a very anal retentive shooter that said barrels should be cleaned after every shot with a good bore solvent like Hoppe's or Sweet 7.62 for the first ten shots or so. After that, clean after every 5 or 10 shots for the next hundred or so, then only as required....Or something like that. I always get too excited and cap off the first few before I remember :smack:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.