Savage & Marlin Arms sold?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by QCDually5.9, Dec 15, 2010.

1. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

Got word yesterday that Remington has bought out Savage and Marlin. Can't confirm that at this point. Heck, it may be old news to everyone but me. Anyone else heard this?

2. demented

demented Well-Known Member

Cerberus bought Marlin and Remington some time ago haven't heard anything about Savage. H&R/New England, DPMS, Remington, Marlin are all now owned by this conglomerate. Will probably be a screw up from Hell. The way Savage has been kicking Remingtons butt lately, seems it'd be suicide for them to sell out. Would benefit Remington, get rid of a serious competitor though.

3. QCDually5.9

That would explain things. I was told that the marlin 981ts is not available because they are gearing up to offer it with the accu-trigger. (Which I really like) But I was not aware of all the buying up that was going on. I hate to ask, but what country is this group based out of?

4. demented

demented Well-Known Member

Probably 1/2 dozen, greed knows no borders. I do hope Savage hasn't sold, I'd like to buy one more decent rifle before its too late!

5. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Here is some info I found.
    Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. is one of the largest private equity investment firms in the United States. The firm is based in New York City, and run by 50-year-old financier Steve Feinberg. Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle has been a prominent Cerberus spokesperson and runs one of its international units.
    The firm's headquarters are located at 299 Park Avenue in New York City.
    Firearms - Acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., from Windham, Maine native Dick Dyke for an undisclosed sum in April 2006, and purchased Remington Arms in April 2007. Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007. Cerberus also acquired DPMS Panther Arms December 14, 2007.[26][27] Remington Arms acquired Marlin Firearms in January 2008.[28][29] In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired silencer manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation.[30] These companies were combined into the Freedom Group.

6. QCDually5.9

Hmmm.. Well, if they already own Marlin, it would fit that they are re-tooling in order to use accutriggers on the marlins IF they have in-fact recently purchased Savage.

7. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I would hate to see one company own all of the firearms industry here in the U.S. Who knows if they will continue to manufacture firearm's in the future or what the price may be in the future if they continue to market firearms. :thumb:

8. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

Savage is a separate entity than any Cerebus owned company. Marlin has an accut-like trigger, but I can guarantee you it's not an accutrigger. Savage does own Bowtech Archery.

9. QCDually5.9

Well, like I said. I was told this info but have not confirmed it. Was looking to do just that with this thread.