Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one of these in .308 for $200 in a pawn shop. I was ready to get it and I noticed the safety was broke. It would snap, but would not engage. I found a new safety for about $20. Is replacing it a big deal?

It had a synthetic stock that I did not recognize, but it looked pretty good other than the safety. I was going to pick it up and take it to the gun show this weekend and sell it.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
The tang-mounted saftey uses a linkage that runs down to the sear, sometimes the linkage gets abused by folks prying up the bolt handle with the safety on (I think that's what they're doing...). You may only need to straighten up some parts inside to get it safely working again. Have you been inside it yet?

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
For $200 I'd look at it real close. That sounds like a bargain if it's in any decent shape at all. If all else fails, either a local gunsmith could do it for you, or the factory could give it a once over and make sure everything is up to spec.

To answer your question, I really haven't paid that much attention to the Savage safety, and have never repaired one, so I don't know what that would amount to.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tang-mounted saftey uses a linkage that runs down to the sear, sometimes the linkage gets abused by folks prying up the bolt handle with the safety on (I think that's what they're doing...). You may only need to straighten up some parts inside to get it safely working again. Have you been inside it yet?
Thanks, no, I did not take it apart. The part that you actually push forward to fire was broke in half. I may could have forced it back, but not try. I probably should have bought it and still may. The action, stock and barrel looked pretty good (95%). The bottom "cover" on the pistol grip of the stock was missing, but that is no big deal. The stock was very atttractive and looked like wood. It was not the original. It had been there awhile or they would not have budged on the price. It was marked $239, they said they would take $225 and when I noticed the broke safety they said $200. Maybe I should get it. They had a few other really good deals on Savages and one Winchester 70 300wsm for less that $400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.