Satellite Internent

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by blue boy, Dec 10, 2012.

1. blue boy

blue boy Active Member

Just wanted to know if any of you have it & how you like it. My rural elec. coop. is offering what sounds like a deal on exede internet. Thanks any info will help blue boy

2. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    I had it once , it was alright . Fairly quick . Wouldn't work if it was cloudy , raining , wind blowing , sometimes when it was perfect weather. Wouldn't suggest it unless it was dirt cheap and you had no other option .

3. buck n duck

buck n duck Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner

I used to have Wild Blue and it was terrible.

4. tracytqrc

tracytqrc Well-Known Member

I have Hughesnet. I would'nt say it was the best or fastest but from what I've heard from others about other services it's not bad. The amount of download you can run in a 24 hour period is dependent on the package you have, but there is no limit between 12:00am and 6:00am.

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got excede. Had it for about three weeks. It is pretty fast - average about 6 or 7 Mbps download. Dsl is about 3. Videos do great. Been off twice in three weeks that I know of during cloudy, rainy weather for about 30 minutes each time. BY FAR the best Internet I have had out in the country. Faster than my dsl when I lived in town.

6. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

What about dishnetwork Internet? How does that compare?

7. kfarm

kfarm Well-Known Member

Had wild blue. Dial up was faster and didn't go out with the first cloud. Have verizon 4g now lots better.

8. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Regular wildblue is like dial up compared to excede. I have used both.

9. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

I need to get something and it's between exceed and Dish network right now. Both are basically the same price. Is there one better than the other?

10. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

We have hughesnet. It's not fast but it's fairly dependable as it only goes out during heavy storms. They have some new plans that are supposed to be much faster.

11. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

Found out dish and excede are the same exact service.

12. wallhanger1

wallhanger1 Well-Known Member

13. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We live in rural Pulaski County (no Comcast or DSL). We have a Verizon Air Card. I found a router at Best Buy that I can plug that air card into and it broadcasts WiFi in the house. It works good.

14. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Just got DishNet about a month ago. Works well, but their accounting and billing department will make you want to strangle someone.

15. Use my smartphone for wireless access. We are rural.

16. cobweb

cobweb Well-Known Member

I've had Exede since the summer. If it's real cloudy, I lose it. Mine is very fast. I average 10 mbps! It has been as high as 17 mbps. You can't game do to latency issues. I was limited to 7.5 mbps a month on my plan but Exede recently doubled this for no extra charge.

17. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    I have hughesnet. Not great but not too bad. You can only watch a few videos or things that use a lot of bandwidth or you will exceed your daily allowance. That being said, you get one free token a month that will restore your service and you can buy more for $5. Those free tokens carry over as well so if you don't use your free one that month, you'll have 2 the next month. You have to buy them from Exceed. None of it is worth the money but if you need or really want internet, you gotta bite the bullet. I'm not crazy about Hughesnet but I doubt the others are better enough to warrant changing over...I could be wrong though.

Also, I have the Home Edition which is fairly limited. ( I would expect to exceed my limit if I watched say 5 10-20 minute videos which I rarely do) The business edition has Higher allowances and from what I understand is really hard to go over you limit. Home edition runs close to $80 a month and Business is close to $100

18. blue boy

blue boy Active Member

I want to thank every one for there info. We took the 2&1/2 hour trip to are elec. coop office to day with the wifes laptop & tried out exede. Verizon air card on 3g is faster. We have the 3g mouth plan which allways goes over 1-2 gb. so now were to go a little slower for 7 more gb. or pay more for verizon. Thanks again Blue boy