Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,481 Posts
Some "Feed" stores will have a "house" mixture of ground up corn, cottonseed meal and salt, and other things....if you use gravity type feeders or pour in a pile, you are creating a "mineral" lick and freshening it up each time you add more. Even if you don't add more every week or so, the deer will still return to it and check it often, because of the salt. Other animals also might check it for the salt factor, like hogs for one. It's a good thing to do, especially during hot dry spells when the deer get water from things they eat like gum tree leaves.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

They have just about eaten this Hickory stump out of the ground and they pawed out the deep part with their hooves. I had to put a loader bucket of clay back in there. The hole gets pretty filled with water after a rain and I've watched deer drink from it. I add 50-100 lbs per year of granular mineralized salt and sometimes sugar, though it will bring fire ants in swarms!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
From what I've been told/taught, deer don't need the licks in the fall and winter like they do late spring and summer. Our licks on the lease seem to "dry up" not long after bow season starts. Some of it may be human traffic effecting movement, but even at night they are not hitting them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bowhunting clubs

Im a bowhunter and really love it. does anyone know of any bow hunting only hunting clubs in arkansas? i hunt winona alot. salt licks are ok spots. watch out for traffic in and out may not be a natural one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.