Ryan Mallet To Transfer

Discussion in 'Razorbacks' started by catdaddylong, Jan 8, 2008.

1. I was listening to the Jim Rome show on the radio today and he was interviewing Rich Rodriquez and he said that Ryan Mallet is going to transfer. He said he recruited him when he was at W Virg, tried to get him to stay at Mich but he says when a guy want to leave after 3 times there is nothing you can do. He did not say where he was going to transfer. He said he already told his team mates he was going to transfer also.

2. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

i have heard ucla mentioned as a possible destination for him but i hope he comes to arkansas.

3. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    At first I thought Mallet at the UA was/would be a great deal. I am kinda reviewing my thinking right now.:cool:

The kid is a real time stud...but we have the QBs of the future already on/coming to campus and they were recruited with that promise. They will "fit" the program (likely) better than RM would.

4. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Hey CDL, I know you aren't saying what I think you are saying. I will have to go over previous threads regarding this topic and see what all was said then.:wink: Come to think of it, seems someone said to just wait and see.:thumb: Should of already had him.

5. GaryR, all I'm saying is that Rodriquez said he was transferring. I don't have a clue to where. Some on this MB have said UCLA. If he came to Arkansas it would not hurt my feelings. Petrino is going to play the best QB available for his offense who ever that may be. You can count on that.

6. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

whereever he goes...the boy will be a beast...

7. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

yeah, but a little competition at the qb spot is always good.

8. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    I agree..:thumb:

If coach P wants him....fine.
    If not...fine.
    I can sleep well either way.
    Rather have kids that want to be "Razorbacks" though.:up:

9. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Ryan Mallett has left the Michigan football program, and the quarterback might be reunited with his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Ryan Mallett, who played in 11 games as a freshman, isn't thought to be suited for new coach Rich Rodriguez's spread offense.

"He's on his way home," Jim Mallett told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We don't know where he's going to go yet, but we need to do something quick. We're going to visit three, four or five schools."

The former Texas Class 4A offensive player of the year may end up at Tennessee, which is considering hiring former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler.

"If they're hired, that would be a real good possibility," Jim Mallett said. "Ryan really clicked with both coach DeBord and coach Loeffler during the last couple months of the season and during bowl practices, I've never seen Ryan throw the ball or read defenses as well as he did."

Mallett said his son also will consider transferring to Texas A&M, Arkansas and UCLA among other schools. After sitting out next season, he will have three years of eligibility.

"Several schools have called and we're still open-minded about any program that runs a pro-style offense," he said. "He's going to enroll this semester, so we've got to get moving."

Mallett played in 11 games as a freshman, filling in for Chad Henne when he was injured. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions.

As soon as Lloyd Carr retired and Rich Rodriguez was hired, Mallett's days seemed to be numbered because of Rodriguez's spread offense that has featured mobile quarterbacks.

"It just wasn't a fit and yet, it was a hard decision," Jim Mallett said. "When he came home for Christmas, he told me and my wife that he really was falling in love with being at Michigan.

"Ryan wants to thank coach Carr, his staff and all the players for helping him have a great experience the past year."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

10. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

sounds like CD.... 61-141, not mobile, 7 tds but 5 interceptions.... Why would Petrino want this kid we have 3 of them ... :confused:

11. I don't know if he would be happy at Arkansas as I understand Petrino will be running the spread offense as well. That pretty much Katie bar the door for CD as well as he can't run out of a closet.

12. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    CDL
    I'm not 100% on this but my impression of Petrino's offense is that he likes a QB that has some mobility with a deadly arm. In other words he's not as concerned about the QB being a running threat out of the spread. I don't remeber Brohm?? being a running threat. Like I said not 100%.

13. possum

Still...........

14. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

Clay the words to look at are... Spread offense and mobility... Petrino runs a Spread offense HDN didnt ..... Pete could see what the rest of NWA saw.. and possiably you'll see soon...

15. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    Mobility should not be used in a sentence with Mallett....:wink:

16. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    CD is out!!! No wheels , No arm!!!!!
    I haven't seen enough of Mallet to make a judgement.

17. possum

I seen Mallet a couple times this year. He might have a better arm but no more mobility....in my opinion.

18. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

Those stats as a 6'7" true freshman whose team hadn't found it's offense yet, really isn't too bad. Enough intelligence to make the reads and getting rid of the ball makes up for lack of mobility a little bit. Petrino's last games in Atlanta, he had brought in Chris Redman to start, after having been out of football for years. He knew his offense from Louisville. RM could handle it.