Arkansas Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Some may not put much faith in it, other may. But I am one who not only goes on past history, but also on weather and lunar conditions. With that in mind, here in the riverbottoms the rut, and when I say the rut, I mean when your not so average deer get stupid. That has always traditionally been from Thanksgiving thru the first week of December. With that in mind, we have an extended frontal system coming they this coming weekend, blowing out of here Sunday, clear Monday the 30th with barometric pressure rising. On top of that the solar and sun cycles are going to be at their best they have all gun season. So with all that said, by the signs, next Monday should be a day one the bucks should get cranked back up!!!

Now only thing left for this to work as planned is for the bucks to know all this also!🥴

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think it’s about done here in NWA unless I see something that changes. Does and fawns are herding again and do not see bucks cruising any more. Spent last 2 days scouting and looks like the best days have past. Might get lucky and see a straggler, but they all seem to be going into the winter days of bedding down out of the wind and in the sun and turn mostly nocturnal.

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
174 Posts
Some may not put much faith in it, other may. But I am one who not only goes on past history, but also on weather and lunar conditions. With that in mind, here in the riverbottoms the rut, and when I say the rut, I mean when your not so average deer get stupid. That has always traditionally been from Thanksgiving thru the first week of December. With that in mind, we have an extended frontal system coming they this coming weekend, blowing out of here Sunday, clear Monday the 30th with barometric pressure rising. On top of that the solar and sun cycles are going to be at their best they have all gun season. So with all that said, by the signs, next Monday should be a day one the bucks should get cranked back up!!!

Now only thing left for this to work as planned is for the bucks to know all this also!🥴
I agree with you. Typically I start seeing the bigger bucks on their feet the week of thanksgiving through the first week of December.
The buck I got last week is one I’ve been after for 3 years...all pics have always been during this time. I got him early this year because I finally pinned down his bedding area and waited til everything was just right. I took off the next 2 weeks just for this reason.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Friend of mine in Courtland , Miss. : his son saw 3 bucks - soft grunts - too far for bow . Think , it was yesterday. Nothing spotted on my speck of dirt - yet . The hills , it'll drag out (most of the time). Saw tiny track on place - bout 1" long. So, some late dropped babies.

·
Platinum Member ******* Slum Lord
30,365 Posts
Finally starting to see some rutting activity.
Saw a good buck with a doe in a sage grass field yesterday morning and my son had 2 bucks fighting in a thicket beside him rhis afternoon. He videod the fight. You couldn't see em but you could hear em and they weren't playing around. They were fighting over a doe I'm sure.

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
174 Posts
Finally starting to see some rutting activity.
Saw a good buck with a doe in a sage grass field yesterday morning and my son had 2 bucks fighting in a thicket beside him rhis afternoon. He videod the fight. You couldn't see em but you could hear em and they weren't playing around. They were fighting over a doe I'm sure.

If I remember right you’re from the same area I am(Jonesboro). If you don’t mind...What area was the rutting activity? I hunt a little ways outside of Jonesboro and this week I’m seeing younger bucks pairing back up. Had a couple come in yesterday evening together and both were limping bad...one has been for a month now. Normally I’m seeing a lot of chasing right now, figured I just missed it.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Where I hunt last weekend the bucks are not locked up with does anymore and are looking for new ones. My son and I both shot mature bucks Sat morning. And my cameras at the feeders are showing a bunch of deer again. We both saw a bunch of deer last weekend. We had a doe at the feeder 20 minutes after we picked up his deer with the truck. His deer wasn't at the feeder but travelling the edge by the feeder. The does aren't as spooky as they were last week. They stand when you drive by them in the woods.

·
Registered
548 Posts
How is the rut in South AR? Been a weird year on our place. Opening weekend we had 6 bucks taken but we have not seen any rutting activity. We are in Arkadelphia area. Going down this afternoon hoping to put 1 more in freezer. Killed a cull buck during early bow season

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
I've seen a lot of "herding" this week.....

What was family groups of 3 and 4 does are now 8-10 does and multiple of the same age class......

That's either hunting pressure from the boom booms or its winding down and bucks are checking feeders from downwind to catch a late bloomer.....

That's my take from the hills of Sharp co

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
174 Posts
Just had a buck run a doe across the road in front of me in the city limits of jonesboro.
Had his nose in her but right across an old ladys yard.
I need to know your driving route around town haha. I see a few around Lawson and Woodsorings here and there. Glad you’re seeing them...now they just need to get going here in the woods. Been sitting here(south of town) since 8:30...nothing but squirrels.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts