Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15,645 Posts
I just seen my first chase of the season. Had a freaky little buck chasing a doe in a rice field for over an hour. In Jackson Co.

·
Registered
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ouch, that will make a man find a new hobby there. I've been there, makes you wonder you do it.
Yes that’s tough T. I can count on one hand how many bucks I have actually seen in daylight on a hot doe in last seven years. It’s very rare for me and with the hunting pressure around.

·
Registered
17,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just seen my first chase of the season. Had a freaky little buck chasing a doe in a rice field for over an hour. In Jackson Co.
You’d be freaky too if you only had 7 days out of the year lol

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
2,829 Posts
I've been all over Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas the past week and I've seen several bucks chasing does. I actually stopped on the side of the hwy outside of San Angelo the other day and watched a pretty epic buck fight for a few minutes. My daughter has been putting out feed and running the cameras at the house and she's saying does are still bunched up and even a few bucks hanging out together. We have a few different new bucks that have shown up the past two weeks that are all busted up. I'm not sure if I've completely missed the rut or if it hasn't really kicked off yet. This whole working for a living thing really gets in the way of my hunting time.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Only saw a few deer over the last 2 days and at one point saw what I'm pretty sure was 2 does together. Didn't see any indication of chasing or rutting activity in Sharp county. Maybe it's been and gone, on lock down, IDK?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Best activity I saw was weekend before gun in north central. On way back up Friday before gun I saw a buck chasing a doe in median of i40 in Ozark. Shot a big 8 with 4 bonus points Sunday of opening. Dead most of week, only saw 2 shooters. Today with temp drop and wind shift saw several chasing, both small and large bucks. Interrupted one ole boy when checking cameras. Buck looked mad, but neither one ran. Was within 40 yards.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I didn't get to start hunting till Friday afternoon. Saw 2 does cross fast in a narrow opening in a field stand.
Sat morning saw 10 in a stand with thick woods on both sides of a narrow right of way none at the feeder. One 8 point rest were does. I got down early because of the rain. Sat in the truck between 2 crossings in a big field from 9:30 till 10:45 had 6 yearling does run across with a little spike buck chasing them. Went back to the morning stand after the hog game and just got seated and started seeing does cross fast. The fog started rolling in and I couldn't see the whole right of way but managed to see 10 does total all but one were grown does. The feedr went off and no deer came but turkeys did and never left till the corn was gone. I was wearing orange and was in view30 yards away and know they could see me but they wouldn't leave. They putted and jumped a few times when I turned my head or lifted my rifle to scope deer but wouldn't leave. Must not be much to eat in the woods. Saw one little buck Sunday morning. Other guys saw big bunches of turkeys cleaning up all the corn. And a few deer. We think the good bucks are locked up in the woods with does. The yearlings are away from their mamas for the rut.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
On way to office this am saw a really good buck in city limits standing in the middle of a nicely manicured bermuda yard. Area is known to hold some deer in a nearby wood lot but this buck standing in the yard doesn’t happen 49-50 weeks out of the year.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Saw mature bucks cleaning scrapes the Thursday before youth hunt, my 10yo killed a 6pt Sunday of tbe youth hunt, my wife killed a wide 6pt sunday opening weekend. Then it went dead. Ive set morning and afternoon all but one day since then. Saw a big wide 4pt on Wednesday then nothing untill yesterday afternoon. Two different 6pts looking for a lady but i think the big boys have them layed up somewhere because ive not seen a doe in 10 days. And the last week of bow season i was seeing 10-12 a day.
Dallas county.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts