Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical week of the rut in NEA. Mature bucks seem to be locked down with does. Nothing really exceptional on camera. Hot windy and dry except for today with a foggy morning. Here’s a buck I pulled by and noticed I couldn’t see the doe but I knew he had to be watching one. Then she spooked and I could see her. Ole boy was in love.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Agree with that assessment. Mature buck sightings for me peaked around the youth hunt as the first few doe were becoming receptive. By last weekend mature bucks had slowed movement. As this week progressed I was seeing tons of younger bucks again on the desperate search. Some of them crazily harassing a doe that had no interest.

Once most doe are bred and the gun season is gone the remaining mature bucks will again be on the prowl for the 6-8 month old fawns coming into heat.

If they can survive the big mid November gun season December is a time to really get after a big mature deer when most hunters have already fizzled.

·
Registered
24,113 Posts
Bucks following does here....end of November as usual here.

Reactions: jevans

·
Premium Member
25,836 Posts
Dead as a hammer here. Seen one buck with a doe in the last few days. Watched multiple does feeding with a buck on the other side of the food plot feeding and doesnt even walk a hundred yards to check them out. Really erratic deer movement here

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Pretty much the same in Central Ar where I am. I hunted quite a bit last week and saw very few does and no mature bucks. I think they are tight in the thickets right now. Only seeing small bucks cruising on stands and cameras.

·
Super Moderator
13,912 Posts
They’ve been chasing wide open where I’m hunting in SW. Seen a 3-1/2 yr 8 pt chasing Wednesday.
And seen two dinks after one doe.
Friday seen 8 bucks all of them looking for love. Had five bucks trying for one doe. Killed my best bow buck yesterday following a doe.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
November 7th a mature buck was attempting to breed a doe in my yard. I saw the same buck about 7 hours before in a neighbor’s yard about 3/4 mile away alone. Last Sunday in Hempstead Co I had one chase going on close to me and saw adult does alone and yearlings alone. So I am guessing lock down was on. Yesterday in Arkansas Co I saw a buck chasing hard, a lone button buck and two mature size deer feeding together. So, it’s a little different for each location.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have hunted all week and saw 2 bucks opening day and another buck on Monday. I have not seen a single doe. The last deer I saw was the buck on Monday. All on an 80 acre patch of land that I have permission to hunt. Normally kill my two bucks here but pickings seem slim this go around.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts