Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the best deer hunters in the nation" He lost me in the first minute.
I agree with that. I was just talking about the things deer do that we really never pay attention too. I was finding scrapes in September every where and then they stopped. Started again and now at the moment most have stopped again. And I never knew deer could breed in March but he was also right about bucks still having horns then cause I have seen it quite a few times

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have watched a lot of his stuff over the years and learned good stuff at times. However, I did NOT watch this one, because in the last one that I watched a few weeks ago he said flat out that the snort wheeze is NOT a good call to use. That is often the deal breaker for me. Heck, I rattled a BIG buck of a ridge top yesterday morning only to watch him loose interest and turn to drop over the ridge. I snort wheezed at him and he turned and came my way. Didn't wind up getting a shot, but don't believe everything he says about calling deer.:cool:

Anytime a buck still has antlers, he still has enough testosterone in his system to want to breed and be capable. The testosterone dropping way off is why the antlers fall shed. He may have said that in this video, but that ain't news.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
"New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the best deer hunters in the nation" He lost me in the first minute.
Dave is an interesting guy. I've met him before at seminars back east about 6-7 years ago & always got the impression he had the "my way or no way" attitude. Really knowledgable but kind of deadset in his approaches & deer ideology..and as mentioned, kind of brings to light stuff we already think about.

Also got a good laugh at this comment. Being from that region, I can only shake my head at what he claims.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Did you mean to say Peter?

On the doe: they keep cycling ever 28 days if not bred, which is just one more reason to balance the herd much better, because this causes unneeded stress on the does, bucks and fawns, who may not have enough body mass to make it through a long, COLD, NE winter. The NE is liberal territory, and liberal or not, they think that they know what they're doing and don't take advice or criticism worth a damn. Just try reasoning with them about this subject!!!!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
did anybody else catch what he said about the fetus study. He said it was taken from road kill does in JANUARY. Then he says the study showed that some does were bred in February and March. He probably just mis quoted I guess. I agree with him on the rest though.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
did anybody else catch what he said about the fetus study. He said it was taken from road kill does in JANUARY. Then he says the study showed that some does were bred in February and March. He probably just mis quoted I guess. I agree with him on the rest though.
Yeah I caught that too.

Really no new or groundbreaking news for me.

One thing to keep in mind is your buck to doe ratio. The closer to 1:1 you have it the less you'll see subsequent ruts Dec/Jan etc. more doe and fewer bucks means more likely to go unbred.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Yeah I caught that too.

Really no new or groundbreaking news for me.

One thing to keep in mind is your buck to doe ratio. The closer to 1:1 you have it the less you'll see subsequent ruts Dec/Jan etc. more doe and fewer bucks means more likely to go unbred.
I just cant figure out how a fetus study in January can show a fetus that wont even be concieved until February or March.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.