Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Ruger no. 1. Anybody got one that they have had trouble with? I keep reading about the stringing of groups and crappy accuracy untill you get a load worked up for it. I dont want to spend a lot of time on one but will if I need to. I am thinking of getting one in a .308 or .22-250. Anybody got any suggestions...d2

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I bought a stainless with laminate stock about 3 years ago new. Its a .308. I liked it because of the 26 inch barrel, but it was still a "short" rifle compared to a bolt action with 26 inch barrel.

Three years later, 2 barrels later, lots of stock sanding and shooting about every type of .308 factory ammo there is, its finally deadly accurate. My biggest problem was that it would either string the shots vertically ( as much as 6 inches) or send a flyer out and no telling where it would hit

I have done a lot of reading on them since, and they either come from the factory perfect or in need of some serious help. If I had it to do over again, I would of just gotten a Ruger M77 bolt and not dealt with the frustration the #1 caused.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was told that Ruger was quitting the No 1. I have one in .300 Win Mag that will group 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards. One of the main problems that most #1's have is the throat is extremly long. I am shooting 165 grain Noslers, and the bullet is seated way out there. The OAL is quite a bit over factory specs but this is what the gun likes. It just takes some work on the loading bench and you can get the #1's to shoot very well.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Y'all said what everyone else has said. It either shoots fine or you got to spend some money on bbl's and lots of time at the reloading bench. The reloading bench would be fine but I dont want to have to have it re barreled. I still aint made up my mind but I figure a Ruger single shot would be cheaper than one of the Browning or Winchester single shots...d2

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a Ruger No 1 in .308 and one in 45-70 and both are good shooters. Most of the stringing problems can be fixed with a Hicks accurizer. I would not take for mine they are fun to shoot and accurate. I installed the Hicks accurizer on the .308 to get my groups from 1.5" down to .75" at 100 yards. The 45-70 shoots 1" at 100 yards with a NEC peep sight. You either love the No 1 or hate it. I also have a Winchester 1885 in 45-70 and it is a shooter also.

LC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.