Ruger mini 14

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Bad Company, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bad Company

Bad Company Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying one. Any helpful reviews would be appreciated. I'm getting it as a defense weapon and maybe a little varmint hunting but from what I have read so far the accuracy is not that great.

2. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I have a new model with 16.25 inch barrel and it will touch bullet holes at 100 yards with American Eagle 50 grain ammo. It will never jam!

3. Bad Company

Thanks rebel, you mind me asking how much you gave for it?

4. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The newer Ranch Rifle will have better accuracy than the older Mini 14. The Ranch Rifle is the way to go if you want a tack driver. I had a Mini-14 that was produced around 79-80 and I thought it shot just fine. It was not a tack driver, but it would shoot a MOA with good ammo. It also gobbled up any ammo I fed it. It was a great rifle. I sold it to help pay for a piano for my girls. I miss the rifle, but it was money well spent.

These rifles are expensive. You will need to shop smart to find a good deal.

5. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I think it was around 750 out the door but that may have been with the scope also. Can't remember for sure.

6. Timd1978

Timd1978 Well-Known Member

For the new 58x series with the heavier tapered barrel, they are 609 at Wal-Mart. I had one and I wish I hadn't sold it

7. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

Ive had several mini 14s and a several ranch rifles ..great guns ..ranch rifle is the way to go or the new tactical ..they are very accurate ..I have a mini 30 now and its very accurate

8. Bad Company

I got a ranch rifle. So far I love it. I got a pro mag 20 rd. anybody had any problems wit the pro mag?

9. sam

sam Grand Member

If you haven't already got one you maybe too late to get it at a reasonable price. I watched 3 different new Ranch Rifles sell for $1000 to $1200 on Gunbroker this weekend. I bought one for $670, new, about a week before the Conn. shooting. Liked it OK, although it wasn't grouping as well as I would have liked, I also hadn't really tried different bullets and loads to see what it would really do. That said, I took it to the gun show in Jacksonville yesterday and just to see what it would bring. I made more off that rifle than anyother gun I've ever sold.

10. Bad Company

I bought one for $750 brand new. Bass pro in Branson had a 20rd pro mag for $25 bucks so I bought it. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and I was wondering if the promag was a reliable feeder

11. blake_5858

blake_5858 Well-Known Member

Academy carries pro mag I bought one for my AR. It was junk!

12. Wow I bought mine way back when the first attack on these "assault rifles" began for $300 and it was stainless. In the late 80's of course.......I still love shooting the rifle and darned thing hasn't ever went nuts on it own.....
    I had a Mini 30 once to but didn't like it as much as the Mini 14 so I traded it for a Rem.700 years ago.
    I always liked the mini 14 better then the AR15's but now wish I had went ahead and got an AR too...

13. Bad Company

Thanks Blake, hope they are better for the mini!

I hope that 10 years from now $750 will look like a good price, but if I overpayed , oh well, from what I've read you can't find a more reliable rifle so ill be happy either way

14. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

I may be on eof the few true Mini fans left.. but I love them!!!! Simple to run and they RUN!!!

Two issues on accuracy with the older models..... most folks have no idea what barrel twist theirs is.... thats an issue in ammo selection not in the rifle. Second.. the manufacturing process often left burring at the muzzle/crown (which isn't a true crown) and as a result the bullet is "drifted" as it exits.

There are some good 'smiths that can clean that issue up post-haste and get you back into a good shooting rifle.

I have one from 1976 that will shoot as well as most stock AR's.. I also had a stainless from 198? that wouldn't shoot minute of five gallon bucket!!!!

Ruger does make factory 20rd mags.... .these are about the only ones worth buying. I'd rather have three good factory mags than 10 POS after market thirties. And of note.. thirty round mags make the gun "swing" oddly. Step back off to a twenty and it the "feel" returns.

I like Mini's.. always have... but I like full bore M-14s too!!!! Just a steel and wood kinda guy at heart I suppose.

:flag:

15. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I've got a ranch rifle that is about 10 yrs old. When I got it , groups were awful. 4-6 inches at 100 yrds was typical. I got a trigger job, put on an accustrut, and fire lapped the bore. Now groups around 1 1/2 inches and have gotten under an inch with hornady varmint ammo. Don't know about the new ones, but if you get an older model expect to do some work to achieve acceptable accuracy. (unless you're a "spray and pray" kind of guy- great for that out of the box).

16. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

Accuracy? Adrenaline in massive doses to your brain, fingers twitching, bullets whizzing by your head. You need to be spraying some serious lead and you need dependability. I think the Ranch rifle has just that. If you want a sniper rifle then by all means buy a sniper rifle because the Ruger Ranch is not made for that. Sure you want the best you can get from your firearm but I would be more concerned about that sucker functioning than stacking bullet holes at 100 yards.

17. I have a ranch rifle in the new 6.8 cal. and it's great.I've taken two deer at 75 and 80 yrds.I bought my rifle 2yrs ago and paid 750.00 out the door.Love the new 6.8 cal...

18. JMP

JMP Active Member

Just bought one new out of the gun case at WalMart in Fayetteville for $670. Shipping it to a buddy in OH who wanted one. They are around for reasonable prices if you are there when the shipments are unloaded.