Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I've had a mini-14 for many years, and it's a blast. Not the most accurate thing in the safe, but a lot of fun to shoot, and mine's been incredibly reliable. With only two moving parts in the action, it don't know how to mess up.

Mini-30 is all that plus the 7.62 X 39 cartridge, which many have compared ballistically to the .30-30; deer hunting is definitely doable. Think of it as an American SKS with fewer moving parts and detachable magazines. And in this day and age, 7.62 X 39 is much mo cheaper than .223.

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
I've had a mini-14 for many years, and it's a blast. Not the most accurate thing in the safe, but a lot of fun to shoot, and mine's been incredibly reliable. With only two moving parts in the action, it don't know how to mess up.

Mini-30 is all that plus the 7.62 X 39 cartridge, which many have compared ballistically to the .30-30; deer hunting is definitely doable. Think of it as an American SKS with fewer moving parts and detachable magazines. And in this day and age, 7.62 X 39 is much mo cheaper than .223.

I had the same experience with my mini 14. Fun little guns and about as relaible as an AK.

The only thing I can say about the Mini 30 is that a couple of guys in our club have them and they DO NOT like the cheap steel cased ammo. As long as they shoot brass cased ammo, the guns work just fine. Put Wolf or other steel cased ammo in theirs, and the rifles choke.

The bad part about that is that kicks the "cheap" ammo out the door.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
I have a Mini 14 and had a Mini 30. I sold the Mini 30 mainly because of what Mr C said.
It didn't like cheap ammo and really I liked shooting the Mini 14 better.
I thought I would like the 7.62x39 in a gun that felt "real" but I didn't.

The mini 14 is a fun gun to shoot but not all that accurate at longer ranges.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'm with you... I have had both but only have a -14 now. I loved the Mini-30 as a plinker.... when ammo was cheaper than shooting a deuce-deuce (at least of any quality) but the Mini-30 I had was NOT a shooter!!! It went bang and never failed... but it wasn't much to shoot!!! It was probably as accurate as most AK's, but not as ergonomic and mags are a LOT higher!!!

I never had the ammo issues that some have noted.. it shot whatever I put through it. Maybe I should have held onto it..... but I didn't. I'd like to have it back.. but it is long since gone!

For the money, the consistency and overall "feel"... I'd go AK again in a heartbeat!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.