Ruger american rifle 243

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by varmit_master, Dec 10, 2012.

1. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I am looking at one for my wife. Does anybody have one how do they shoot? R they good rifle's. Going to try to get her a deer/coyote gun. Want to load a 80 gr nosler bt and dogs a 58 gr v max. Ty

2. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

I have a ruger american in .270 and love it. Action is smooth without alot of travel. Easy to chamber another round quickly. Best bang for the buck out there. I wish we were closer and I'd let you send a few rounds down range.

That being said, I'd also look at savages.

3. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

I also like the removable magazine.

4. Heard good reports on them from several folks. I haven't shot one yet, but they feel good on the shoulder, and look fine.
    Most Ruger guns are hard to get right now. Wholesale is about $300 for the American Rifle, so don't get skinned because of a shortage.
    My local gun shop had 2 or 3 in stock, but not sure of the calibers.

5. newdad

newdad Well-Known Member

hey varmit master, I was in arms reach there on 5 south about 2 weeks ago talking to jerry. he was really impressed with the rugers, he had bought one for himself in 243 and I asked him several questions and he couldn't say anything bad about one. he had savages, marlins and rugers in synthetic stocked guns and after handling them all I was most impressed with the ruger and the marlin followed in a close second. I had a moment of weakness and instead of buying a synthetic stock rifle I carried out a mid 60s Winchester model 70 in 30-06. I will be going back at tax time for a ruger in 243 myself.

6. varmit_master

I looked at one at wm in a 243 look like a good rifle.

7. varmit_master

Fount out I am getting bonus at the end of the yr only like 1500.00. Just can't my wife find out. I can see one in a 243 with a nikon 4x12x40 on top in gun safe.

8. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

I looked at them today.i didnt like the stock,it was flexible on the forend.didnt seem too good for accuracy to me.
    I think the hawkeye is a better built gun by far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

9. thelineman

thelineman Well-Known Member

I kept mine from my wife for years. Then one year at our christmas get together, the president decided he had to tell everybody. :banghead: :banghead:

10. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

Normally that is an issue but with the bedding blocks that act as 2 recoil lugs it is no problem. The action rides there period. If the fore end is a little close you can file on the inside so it can't touch.

11. varmit_master

What I seen on guns and ammo they take like there was well made. My wife likes to look thru my fishing stuff. You should see her face when she comes across a new rod I bought and she didn't about then she look at the price tag 255.00 plus tax. She comes unglued lol.

12. Nomosendero

I have one in 308 and it is an unreal shooter to be a light gun with a low price point. I am about to get the barrel chopped to 18.5", big brother just had his done & it will be my climbing tree stand/woods rifle, but yet able to shoot 400yds. no problem. It will put 165 gr. Speer SBT or 168 Nosler BT into 3/4" groups (3-shot) & an occasional 1/2". It is a nice compliment to my other 308 that I punch paper with and for deer stands, a Rem 700 5R Mil-Spec, it won't shoot with that but who would expect it to?
    Like someone mentioned, I thought the Marlin was the best price gun, but not now, very impressed!!

13. GH1

GH1 Well-Known Member

They tested the .308 model on "The Gun Nuts" and David Petzal gave it very high marks. In fact, he found no faults with it whatsoever. I can't imagine the .243 will be any different.
    GH1:biggrin:

14. Nomosendero

Yesterday I shot a couple of loads in Big Brother's chopped 308. The fact. 165 Fushion shot 1.25", but the same favored Speer load my rifle loves once again was in the .75 range.Pretty dang good for a flyweight. Also, the barrels copper foul less than usual, no mound of patches after cleaning.

15. varmit_master

I would like to have one but I seen a springfeild xdm 40 s&w pistol I like better. All the pistols I have are 22's. I got a tc venture 280 rifle with a nikon 4x12x40mm on top plus die 100 rds of new brass a box of hornady 120 gr v max bullets and a can of rl 19 powder. I just don't have a big pistol want to get my permit.