Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide out a ruger 10/22 to buy.

I've looked at the standard 16 inch barrel models, but I can get a 18.5 inch stainless barrel model for about $37 more, or I can get a "Deluxe Sporter" 18.5 inch for $48 more than the standard 10/22.

I am pretty sure I want the longer barrel, do you think it makes much difference in the accuracy or speed or range?

Also, I've had some people say they are pretty accurate right out of the box and others say they weren't very accurate at all?

I'm confused now, they should be as accurate as any off-the-shelf .22 surely, right?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
From what I understand the 10/22 is a bit of a crap shoot for accuracy but I honestly don't know to what degree. They are a very reliable gun though. If I were going to buy a new one I would probably get either the new fleck camo or stainless and probably get the shorter barrel just because I'm a short guy. For accuracy you would want a longer barrel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have 3 of them and love all of them.Best 22 auto you can buy.There are many choices to choose from should you decide to trick one out your self. :thumb:

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,183 Posts
I have had one for about 17 years. It's just a plain old ruger 10-22 I don't know what kind of accuracy your looking for but it will sure pop a squirrel in the head every time.:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
mine is the deluxe sporter model. its balanced a little better than the standard. if you want real good accuracy, buy the standard, throw away the stock and barrel and buy a target barrel and stock kit

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I have 3 of them and love all of them.Best 22 auto you can buy.There are many choices to choose from should you decide to trick one out your self. :thumb:

I'm with Whiteoak.I have 3 and love them.In a league of its own.
Just pick one,There're all good.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Just buy one and then hide your wallet and credit cards before you catch the customizing bug. There are way too many cool 10/22 accessories to be had! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I have a 200th year 10/22 that has had probably 10,000 round put through it and the only part I have replaced is the ejector. It still shoots excellent groups and never fails to fire. Mine likes CCI Mini-mags best, but my stainless one likes Winchester. When you get one, shoot several different brands to see which shoots better.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I bought one a few years ago and bought a new bull barrel and a hammer trigger for it. For some reason it will not shoot the first time you try and fire. You have to load the magazine, jack in the first shell, open chamber and jack shell out, hold the chamber open, take out magazine, close chamber, open chamber , put magazine in again, close chamber and then it will fire.

I have no clue why, but thats the routine. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith to see if he can figure it out

other than that it shoots great:smack:

·
Registered
149 Posts
The standard 10/22 is very accurate. It isn't a target gun per say, but I believe most people can't shoot better than one. The accessories are limitless. I like the carbine for portability myself, no matter what you buy, you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Hillbilly, I saw a pretty 10/22 at the Clarksville Wal-Mart last night. Stainless with the longer barrell and the checkered, walnut, deluxe, sporter stock. That would be my first choice----if I was buying another one. It was around $240-$250?

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw a pretty 10/22 at the Clarksville Wal-Mart last night. Stainless with the longer barrell and the checkered, walnut, deluxe, sporter stock. That would be my first choice----if I was buying another one. It was around $240-$250?
Yep, thats the one I've decided on, but our Walmart was out last week. They got two on order and are suppossed to call me when they come in. I can't wait

·
Registered
484 Posts
i have a 10/22 ruger and i have very good luck with it. its got the stainless barrel and a dragonov? stock.. something like that. but anyways it shoots great and i would love to get another one:biggrin:

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
439 Posts
I've got one my dad bought over 30 years ago. First gun I ever shot and still one of my favorites. About 8 years ago I took it to a gun smith and got a trigger job done on it. Sweet shooting gun! You won't be disappointed.
:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts