Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I had an old church member tell me about the cutting a ring around a shot a shot shell--I never would --never --I know that it is wrong and would think if it was done the picking of the right choke would be a must, I would think that was done on an old and shot out barrel ---I would not wont the gun to blow up on me so I would not even try it even on a target.

·
Registered
28,945 Posts
I had an old church member tell me about the cutting a ring around a shot a shot shell--I never would --never --I know that it is wrong and would think if it was done the picking of the right choke would be a must, I would think that was done on an old and shot out barrel ---I would not wont the gun to blow up on me so I would not even try it even on a target.
Why is it wrong?

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Guy I hunt with found an expandable broadhead grown over with cartilage in his buck this year.
A couple of years ago there was an old doe that stood back and blew when the herd came to my feeder. I shot her. She had a piece of shaft and a broadhead along one of her shoulder blades completley encapsulated with gristle. And we don't have any bowhunters on our place.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It works pretty well in a cylinder bore. I would think something like a full or Remchoke might be too much restriction and be a problem from what I’ve heard.
Brown Wood Branch Plant Trunk

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Old squirrel hunters trick. Keep that cut shell handy for when a deer wandered up on you. Meat hunters played loose with rules back in the day. No shame in that when they really were feeding their families.
I agree no shame in the old days for a man trying to feed his family. --But knowing the kind of ammo that is allowed these days it would not make the list of hunting ammo. -----so wrong to do.-----And I'm unanimous in this-----

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bird shot. Every dang cut had some it it. Frigging renter neighbor on 1/4 acre lot. Twice he asked to deer hunt our place. Was told no, that it was already hunted. Finally, he asked if he could shoot squirrles in trees close to his yard. Gave in and said yes. Big mistake. Heard him shoot often early in the mornings. After I processed that young buck I figured out what he was shooting at.

That deer had to be some kind of stupid to keep going by his place after the first time getting peppered. I'm not kidding that it was in every quarter. Had to have been shot multiple times.
This pisses me off, people are ****in retarded and the audacity of it all on top of it

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
View attachment 336868

Not inside but interesting to say the least. Was my son’s buck from couple years ago.
A number of years back, my oldest son shot a danged nice 10 pt., within about 10 minutes of getting on his stand, I heard him shoot 3-4 times back to back. He was around 14-15 at the time.

I hurriedly got over to him and discovered him and his buck. The place was real thick and grown up, with a narrow shooting lane. Not sure how that buck hung around long enough for him to do all that shooting, but he did. Upon examining the buck, I saw he had a hole thru the ear just like your son's buck does.

I asked my son if he shot the deer thru his ear, which he denied. I said well, it's still bleeding there, and it just got daylight, so it must have been you, which I'm sure it was. I got a real good laugh out of it all. My son for some reason, didn't think it was all that funny.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I wonder how many of these young folks know what a cut shell is??
I was gonna ask... lol
"Cut shells" were a tactic developed during the Great Depression. Supposedly acting as a substitute for a slug. Slugs were either unavailable to or unattainable by poor folk. So like JR1 said, small game hunters kept a cut shell handy in the event an opportunity at a larger target presented itself.

Purple Rectangle Visual effect lighting Violet Font

21 - 38 of 38 Posts