Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting up my buck and was taking the individual pieces of muscle off the ham and I noticed this black piece under the thin lining deep inside the ham between muscles. I thought at first it was a blood vessel and I like to cut all the waste off but once I cut it out I noticed it was a part of a rubber ring. Now there was no sign of injury or any broadhead in the ham. Tissue had started to grow ahead the rubber piece also. I think it’s the rubber ring that holds some expandable’s together. What are some things you have found in deer?
Food Ingredient Jaw Animal product Cuisine

Brown Wood Flooring Amber Floor

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I shot a nice 8 point when I was in high school that had a thunderhead 125 lodged in his lung. I don't know how the hell he survived it but he was chasing a doe and grunting with every breath. I remember he was extremely poor looking, could see his hip bones and ribs but was getting around just fine. He had a huge puss pocket just under the skin and he was full of infection all the way through his shoulder into his lungs. It's crazy how tough these jokers are and how strong their will to survive is.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Bird shot. Every dang cut had some it it. Frigging renter neighbor on 1/4 acre lot. Twice he asked to deer hunt our place. Was told no, that it was already hunted. Finally, he asked if he could shoot squirrles in trees close to his yard. Gave in and said yes. Big mistake. Heard him shoot often early in the mornings. After I processed that young buck I figured out what he was shooting at.

That deer had to be some kind of stupid to keep going by his place after the first time getting peppered. I'm not kidding that it was in every quarter. Had to have been shot multiple times.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Harvested an 8 point off public land a few years ago. He had a complete load of 7 1/2 shot charge buried up in his hip. It had grown over but left a sunken hip. I guess someone must have tried to poach him with a cut shell.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I shot a nice 8 point when I was in high school that had a thunderhead 125 lodged in his lung. I don't know how the hell he survived it but he was chasing a doe and grunting with every breath. I remember he was extremely poor looking, could see his hip bones and ribs but was getting around just fine. He had a huge puss pocket just under the skin and he was full of infection all the way through his shoulder into his lungs. It's crazy how tough these jokers are and how strong their will to survive is.
Power of the opposite sex.

·
Registered
19,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t see it in the first pic. Can you highlight or circle it?
Sorry that pic is just showing the area I found it , I’d already cut it out. If I’d known what it was I’d took a pic as I saw it. But I thought it was a piece of vein.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Had a buddy shoot a nice buck one year. He was very healthy. When we started cleaning it I went to cut one of the back straps out and noticed a knot full of gristle. Cut it open and it had an in tact complete muzzy broad head.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You can take a shot shell and make cuts around the base of the wad. It will keep all the shot in a clump like a glacier-slug when it’s shot. It’s not known for deep penetration but hits really hard. Probably something someone would use if they didn’t want to kill but make something or someone suffer from a nasty wound. I think it might have been used as a wartime scare tactic originally.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts