Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to spray my yard with Roundup. I've planted about 30 oak seedlings (kneehigh or less) around my yard. I know that Roundup only works on green actively growing plants but I want to be sure it won't affect those little green buds on the tip. Am I good to go? Thanks

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can cover most with a 5 gallon bucket or plastic protein tub but I was wondering if there is a really a reason to. Thanks

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Roundup( glyphosate) is most active on foliar application for sure, but if you get enough concentrated on something as small as a sapling, and there's any spots or open areas of bark on that sapling, then you flirting with disaster..... Cover them up to be safe

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think it will hurt them with no leaf. What are you trying to kill? Nothing green here yet besides a few onions.
I have some scattered fescue, some sand burs, and some mint that's starting to green up and I can see a few scattered buttercups about 1/2 in tall. My new house is where my barn used to be and has mostly bermuda but also a variety of early weeds. Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would be real leary of spraying directly over the sapling. Yes, roundup 's normal uptake is by the leaf tissue, but it can be translocated through over parts of the plants too. On smaller saplings the bark is thinner and is capable of absorbing the roundup through it. Check the label, I think the rate for saplings is 10 qts per 100 gal or 6-8 oz per gal in a backpack sprayer(trying to go from memory here). I think 1-2 oz/gal in a sprayer should be adequate for killing what you want and reduce the risk of damage to the saplings should you get a little overspray on them.

Look at page 9
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld07A016.pdf

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Bolt a piece of schedule 40 pvc to a 5 gallon bucket...make it long enough so you don't hafta bend over. Cover the seedlings with the bucket, and spray away. I've sprayed a lot of roundup around small oaks....as long as you don't spray directly on the seedling, you're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts