Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly I've only tried a few times at putting Turks to bed, but I was wondering how successful that is. Do you try and call or just sit and listen?
I've got a plan formulated for Saturday morning and I was planning on going out Friday evening to make sure he's still there after this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If I know where they've been roosting, I like to go sit in a spot fairly close but where I can get out without going by them. You can hear them fly up from a good ways. Sometimes they'll gobble a time or two just before dark, after they're in the tree. It's been very rare that I've killed one I roosted the night before. I usually manage to screw it up somehow.

·
Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W
3,298 Posts
I can roost them. However, the next morning, they always seem to fly down in the opposite direction from where I am set up. So now I just wait to hear one gobble and set up where I think I can cut him off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No roosted ain't roasted but knowing where birds are going in to the morning is always nice. We usually owl hoot and try to listen. Once you've got them pinpointed you are able to slip in on them under the cover of dark. If you are quiet and know your woods you can get within 30-50 yards without spooking birds. Then it's just whether or not they'll fly to you the next day. I've found they like to drop almost straight down because they can see that from the tree and they know it's safe. If you are within range or close to range you can get a shot.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I always try to roost birds the day before and usually have pretty good luck doing so. However that being said I have had them move on me during the night several times and also I like to be able to watch them fly up if possible. I've made the mistake a few times of just listening to a gobble and trying to slip in the next morning and end up busting birds that either didn't gobble or hens that were roosted close by. I also like to hunt birds that are headed back to the roost, sometimes they can be a lot easier and gobble a lot more than in the mornings. Seems like they are trying to gather up a hen or two to roost with for the night.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Its like a game cam for deer kind of. If you roost one you know where he will be next morning hopefully. If you dont it dont mean he isnt there. A confidence builder mainly. But just because he is there dont mean you get a shot.
I like to do it when I have the chance.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I like knowing where they are and where they head in the mornings so I go out a couple days before season and just listen from a distance. That way I have a good idea where they roost and where they want to go. Got a bad place picked out for Saturday morning. So Thursday and Friday I will be there trying to formulate a plan of approach to get there in the dark on the ridge they roost just off of. Tomorrow and Friday will tell the tale.

·
Super Moderator
14,003 Posts
I've done it with great results before. I just owl hooted to get them to gobble. Then get there early and get set up. Start calling at day break. I've been heading home before breakfast time more than once. They flew down and strutted right to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.