Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens to roadkill deer? The reason that I ask is I saw a dead doe on my way to work yesterday morning and she was gone when I went home yesterday afternoon? Does the AGFC pick them up or is it the counties responsibility. I know if I hit one then I would be taking it home to clean (after calling the AGFC first of course.) But what about the ones that have been hit and just left laying?

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
6,257 Posts
i believe the highway dept picks them up and burns them. i think that is what i heard not 100% sure :head:
They drag them out into the woods out of the publics view. I know a guy that works for the highway dept that says they will sometimes tie bucks to a tree and come back and get the horns or skull after the yotes and buzzards have cleaned the mean and hide off.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
One AG&FC WO tells me that the Mexicans pick a lot of them up. If I hit one or see one get hit, or otherwise am able to determine the carcass is not spoiled, I'll take it home and butcher it. Sometimes this is worthwhile and sometimes it isn't.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I was listening to the scanner one night and a deer got hit and wasn't dead so the people called the cops obviously, so the cop went out there and shot it and i think they called the WO....if i can remember right they found some guy to come out there and pick it up...i don't think that the WO's like messing with them but i'm sure if you picked one up and a WO saw you with it he would be more than willing :smack:to write a ticket for not having it tagged

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've seen deer get hit, and they absolutely went into the back of the truck, skinned, quartered, and to the freezer! I've called the GW before to ask what he wants done with the deer, and the response has always been "Take it home with you."

·
Registered
721 Posts
a couple years ago a 9 point got hit on 63 in jonesboro,me and a buddy stopped draged the poor deer to shoulder and cut its throat, 15 minutes later police showed up and said thanks for saving them a bullet,they checked my ID let us take deer and if we had any problems to call them.we salvaged about half the meat.took 3 people to hold that deer down. it was all i could do to hold the front legs. strong animals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.