Rios vs Easterns

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by OuachitaMtnMan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    I thought I'd highlight the differences between the Rio I got out in central OK vs an Easterns I got here in AR. Side by side, it amazes me how much different they are. I didn't really notice that much difference at the time but this setup makes the differences stand out a lot. You get some folks that like the Rio better and some like the Eastern better. I'm torn. One day I hope to have a Merriam to hang beside these 2. I have to throw in that I did both of these myself.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/fans001.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/fans002.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ouachitamtnman/fans003.jpg

Can you tell I'm ready for April? :smack:

2. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Those are some pretty fans and mounts!

Rios are a lot different. The ones I've hunted in Oklahoma were much more vocal, they covered a lot more ground in a day, and they'd gobble in the evenings a lot more. They'd get all their hens together in the evening on the way to the roost, and then they'd have it made in the morning.

3. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

great job, great beards on both those birds too, Rios are cool to me because they vary so much, I have some fans that are almost white tipped and some that are more buff, I have a pic of 4 together, I dont know do pics though.

4. OuachitaMtnMan

Arkansas
    Create a free account with photobucket, download the pictures to photobucket from your pictures on your computer using the "browse" button and then copy the "direct link" option from your pic on PB and paste it in your message here. It's easy. I'd like to see those pics Oh yeah, thanks fellas.

5. Hobbshunter

NWA
    That is true. I've seen some that looked like Merriams. My old lease in OK was in Osage Co north of Tulsa, and I think there's still quite a bit of hybridization there. You'd see a lot of them with darker tail feathers and coverts. Mine has really buff colored coverts, but the tail feathers are almost like an eastern.

6. OuachitaMtnMan

Arkansas
    My uncle has a place on the border of Pontotonc and Hughes Co outside of Allen. They had a biologist do work on their land and he said they had Easterns, Rios and Hybrids. Are there Merriams in Western OK?

7. OuachitaMtnMan

Arkansas
    You got it. Those look nice and all a little bit different and a good bit whiter than mine. Cool

8. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Nope.

9. Hobbshunter

NWA
  10. J. Adams

11. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Wow, those capes look REALLY nice! I've always thought about doing one, but I havent got around to it yet. I guess I'll have to make sure I kill a bird this year, so I can give it a whirl.
    That one on the right a rio? It's a light one for sure!

12. J. Adams

thanks, Left is Bama Eastern, Middle is a NW Nebraska Merriam and Right in a N. Texas Rio

13. OuachitaMtnMan

Arkansas
    WOW! I'm doing one of those If I'm lucky enough to get one this year. I think I've seen that done with the wings on also. I may try that. Nice work J.

14. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I thought that middle one might be a Merriam, but I wasnt sure.

15. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

Nice fans bro...:thumb: