Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I have hunted more on the east to central part of the state, and personally have not seen any or killed any Rios there... My question is, have any of you had success with Rios in KS and how far west does a man need to go?... Not asking for specific places, just wondering if it is worth my time chasing them if I have to go all the way to western KS.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
There are plenty of rios in kansas. I hunt the eastern part of the state also. What we kill mostly are hybrids but you will see birds that you can tell are rios. Central part of the state has plenty. Just use the nwtf map if it says its a rio then its a rio. If you are that worried about it just go to texas.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The further south in Kansas, the less you have to go west to kill Rios. The further north you go, the further west you have to go to find them.
There is a pocket of Easterns in the North/Central part of the state to be careful of if you are after a pure Rio.
I killed a Eastern/Rio hybrid several years ago just barely into Kansas in the southeast corner.

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never tried TX.. Wouldnt even know where to begin there. I do understand they're one of the premier Rio states though

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In the past I have hunted more on the east to central part of the state, and personally have not seen any or killed any Rios there... My question is, have any of you had success with Rios in KS and how far west does a man need to go?... Not asking for specific places, just wondering if it is worth my time chasing them if I have to go all the way to western KS.
Trashduck, the distribution maps at this link are accurate in my experience. Western Kansan, I believe, only allows Residents to hunt turkeys there.

http://wildturkeyzone.com/kansas.htm

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.