Arkansas Hunting banner

Which will be a more effective round on coyote or fox size game?

• .17 HMR

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • .22 Long Rifle ( using hyper velocity rounds from a closed breech gun)

Votes: 8 27.6%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i ask a question on the predator hunting forum a while back about the .17 HMR vs. .17 HM2. i have debated the subject for months and thought i had completely ruled out a .22 LR. but i found this Aguila Hyper-Velocity

it is a .22 LR that is hotter than the CCI stinger. It offers nearly the same knock down out of the muzzle as a .17 HMR. it isn't as accurate, but the .22 LR is much more economical and mossberg offers a bolt action .22 that uses the same mags as my mossberg .22 automatic. I want to use the gun for squirrel hunting and possible coyote hunting so here is the question:

Given that the .22 LR offers a less frangible bullet than that of the .17 HMR, which would be more effective if all shots will be taken at 50 yards or less?

I know that the .17 is more explosive on impact, but a .22 would offer more penetration and a larger wound channel (if neither bullets were expandable).

what do ya'll think
luke:thumb:

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
You can now get 20 grain "Small Game Bullets" for the 17HMR that aren't as explosive as the 17 grain poly tipped bullets. I wouldn't even consider the 22 LR unless that was absolutely all that I had.

I know that yotes have been killed with both calibers, but a big yote is a formidable target for either of those rounds. If you are looking at spending the $$ for a 17HMR, you might take a long look at the 22 Magnum. It has considerably more energy than either of the other 2 rounds, and you can get bullets up to 60 grains. I shoot the 40 grain Super X bullet in my 22 Mag, and it is a true jacked hollow point, not a copper washed hollow point like you will find in other brands. It penetrates deep and holds together great. A 22 Mag and ammo should run the same as a 17 HMR and ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
You can now get 20 grain "Small Game Bullets" for the 17HMR that aren't as explosive as the 17 grain poly tipped bullets. I wouldn't even consider the 22 LR unless that was absolutely all that I had.

I know that yotes have been killed with both calibers, but a big yote is a formidable target for either of those rounds. If you are looking at spending the $$ for a 17HMR, you might take a long look at the 22 Magnum. It has considerably more energy than either of the other 2 rounds, and you can get bullets up to 60 grains. I shoot the 40 grain Super X bullet in my 22 Mag, and it is a true jacked hollow point, not a copper washed hollow point like you will find in other brands. It penetrates deep and holds together great. A 22 Mag and ammo should run the same as a 17 HMR and ammo.
+1 22 mag for sure :up: better for yotes or an 5mm remington if you can find one now that they are making ammo again. should be more guns out in 5mm soon i hope. tony

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
The last yote I killed was with a 50 cal ML 120 gns powder and 303 gn hollowpoint bullet. I shot her right through the ribs behind the shoulder and she went 200 yds. When I tracked her down she was still alive. I realize sometimes things work out differently. But a .22 LR is too small for clean kills unless shots are perfect.
I have skinned several coyotes over the years and everyone has had .22 bullets or shot under the hide.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rimfire will not be my primary coyote gun ,I will coyote hunt with my .30-30 or my 12g. I hate to buy a gun that is only good for one thing. the .17 would be a neat gun to squirrel hunt with, and possibly coyote hunt with. but it is too expensive to plink around with and it destroys squirrels. the .22 LR with good bullets would make a great squirrel gun and would be cheap to shoot. another plus is that the gun i am looking at uses the same mags as my automatic .22. however the .22 is a little light for anything bigger than a coon.

·
Premium Member
17,704 Posts
I don't totally agree with Mr. C on this one.

I have found the 20 gr. fmjs from a .17 to be perfect medicine on squirrels when body shot. I still take headshots 90% of the time, but you can shoot them through the lungs with those fmjs and they do enough damage to kill without any problem. And, no, they don't just punch a hole through them. They actually do about what a hollowpoint .22 lr would do.

For your case with the yotes, I wouldn't intentionally pick either the .17 or the .22 mag. I would step it up a little. But I can tell you with all certainty that a .17 at reasonable distance, with ballistic tips, will do the job. It just leaves very little room for error.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
I agree with you 100% on the FMJ's for the 17. I have a couple thousand of the 17 grain v-max's, so that what I had on the brain when I was typing.

No rimfire is really very good for anything larger than a raccoon. As was stated, there is no room for error when you are shooting rimfires at yotes.

·
Premium Member
17,704 Posts
Don't mean to get too off topic, but have you found the 17gr. loads more accurate? Reason I ask is that my Savage really, really likes the 20gr. XTP rounds. That is what I shoot out of it just about exclusively when I punch paper or go after squirrels.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
Don't mean to get too off topic, but have you found the 17gr. loads more accurate? Reason I ask is that my Savage really, really likes the 20gr. XTP rounds. That is what I shoot out of it just about exclusively when I punch paper or go after squirrels.
I have never shot anything besides the Hornady 17 grain V Max.

When I get 5 shot groups like this at 50 yards, I hesitate to try anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.