Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you that have been around a while might remember my LFTS Rick Evans Grandview thread/horror story from 2015. If you haven't seen it, you can go read it and get a brief glimpse at my soul being crushed, little by little, day after day, week after week.

As luck(good or bad) would have it 4 years later, I have drawn again. I invite you all to follow along once again and live the good,bad and ugly with me this year. Anyone else that drew this year is welcome to chime in as well. I know of at least one other member that drew a tag this year.

In 2016 a buddy of mine drew a tag. He killed his doe around the second week and shot a buck that we never found the last week. In 2017 that same buddy's wife drew a tag. She killed her doe and missed what I'm told was a very nice buck. That same buddy's wife just so happened to draw again this year as well.

I've already done quite a bit of scouting this year and have put a few cameras out . My biggest mistake last time I hunted there was immediately scouting for bucks with the assumption that it wouldn't be hard to kill a doe, especially once the acorns started falling. Well.....I couldn't have been more wrong. My experience was that it wasn't terribly hard to find a buck that I would be happy to shoot, but getting a doe in bow range (which was redefined/extended every hunt) was quite the task.

So follow along and we'll see if this becomes a redemption thread or remains Round 2.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good luck! You deserve it, I know the hours you put in last time, when I was drawn as well. I've put in every year and still have yet to draw a tag again. I know exactly what you mean by not knowing if it's good luck or bad to be drawn. Hunting there can be soul crushing, but the truth is it's the best opportunity in our area at a 150" buck. I'll be following the thread.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck! You deserve it, I know the hours you put in last time, when I was drawn as well. I've put in every year and still have yet to draw a tag again. I know exactly what you mean by not knowing if it's good luck or bad to be drawn. Hunting there can be soul crushing, but the truth is it's the best opportunity in our area at a 150" buck. I'll be following the thread.
How ya been Mr. Sweat? I was talking to some guys last week about the year that we drew. There were so many of us that lived within close proximity that year that drew and I think 2 bucks were killed? Thought that was kind of odd that of 6-7 people hunting dang near every day there was that low of a success rate.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scouting out the does is the best place to start seems to me like.
No doubt. I checked 2 cameras yesterday that had been soaking a couple of weeks, both had several doe. Both were just on beat down trails going into "bedding areas". The persimmon crop is good this year so I'll slide some cameras towards those mid September . I've jumped several doe out of their beds and a couple of good bucks. I guess at this point I'll cross my fingers that they are still on the same pattern the first week of October, or at least pretty close.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How ya been Mr. Sweat? I was talking to some guys last week about the year that we drew. There were so many of us that lived within close proximity that year that drew and I think 2 bucks were killed? Thought that was kind of odd that of 6-7 people hunting dang near every day there was that low of a success rate.
Yeah there were several of us that stuck it out till the bitter end that year, for sure! If I remember right, that was the next year after Fallguy killed that 180 inch stud, so I think a lot more locals than usual applied. That's my theory anyway.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah there were several of us that stuck it out till the bitter end that year, for sure! If I remember right, that was the next year after Fallguy killed that 180 inch stud, so I think a lot more locals than usual applied. That's my theory anyway.
Probably a sound theory. I know that all of a sudden I wasn't the only one of my group of friends applying anymore after @fallguy became a local legend and unofficial mayor of Grandview.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts