Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew a bow tag for the rick evand grandview prairie wma, they only allow 40 bow hunters a year from oct 25- dec 7 and it is 4 on one side so there should be some large bucks in the area. anyone know anything about this area?

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
Never hunted in there This is first time I put in for it but guess maybe next year.Have some friends that do,they say a doe is hard to come by.They also say there is some outstanding bucks there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You have to kill a doe first. It is different terrain than most so arkansas hunters are used to. Becasue it is so open it can get crowded real quick. Not real easy to find a tree to climb. If you wanted to ground hunt it is a great place for that.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Gotta take a doe first, yet the doe is a bonus doe and does not count against your allowed doe harvest statewide. I've hunted this WMA 3 times since its inception, with 2004 being the last year. I've applied the last three years before this and they say I only have 2 preference points, imagine that! Maybe they will straighten it out, but anyway...

This WMA has turned into a nursery for the surrounding landowners and leases. Why? Because the buck quota each year for all hunters is 6, once those 6 bucks are taken the hunt stops. In the last several years the quota has not even been close to being filled. What makes it so hard is that the season opens in late October, over three weeks from the statewide archery opener. Why can't the season start on October 1st, thus allowing more opportunity for bowhunters to get the much needed doe under their belts before the rut kicks in? After all, there's a buck quota in effect, and that quota is behind by about 15 or 20 by now! No one can give me a legitimate reason for this. I've asked a certain Commissioner to look into it and it seemed to fall on deaf ears, imagine again! The 4 point on one side rule is in effect and guess what, some certain people want it changed to a 5 point rule! Can you imagine working hard to harvest your doe and having to watch a 145+ 8 point walk by (Perrytown are you listening?)!

I'll keep applying for this hunt because I love hunting this WMA, but I will also push for some changes as well.

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
I wish I had been trying the last few years to get a permit there.Ive been told of some great bucks being seen but also having to watch them walk because of not being able to get a doe.Be nice if it did open like the rest f the state.

·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot find anywhere that it is saying that only so many bucks can be harvested for this year. It only sais that 40 tags and 1 buck and 2 does. can anyone tell me where the info for this season said that the buck limit is less than the total # of tags given.( this year only).

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I cannot find anywhere that it is saying that only so many bucks can be harvested for this year. It only sais that 40 tags and 1 buck and 2 does. can anyone tell me where the info for this season said that the buck limit is less than the total # of tags given.( this year only).
Have not read the rules for this year, but I don't see them changing anything. My money is on a 6 buck quota however. Not gonna get it anyway.

·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just called the southwest regional office and they said the buck limit is six. that sucks in a big way.I would rather go when they say the rut is in full swing but i guess if you want to kill a buck you have to go as soon as it opens. 6 seems like a very low # to me, its no wonder that the quota doesnt ever get filled, because permit holders are afraid they will drive all that way and find out they cannot shoot a buck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
its no wonder that the quota doesnt ever get filled, because permit holders are afraid they will drive all that way and find out they cannot shoot a buck.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not quite it...of the 40 permits only between 12 and 20 will most likely show up at least once. After the State gun season opens, you will have most of the place to yourself, especially if you can go during the week. Of those, only 2 or 3 will kill a doe and have a chance to hunt a buck. Most people get frustrated and go back to hunting their personal honey holes. Don't get discouraged just yet, just go knowing what to expect. I've only hunted there once and it was very hot that year. Go and give it a try. Since most people only draw every 4 years or so they are willing to help you out some. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
its no wonder that the quota doesnt ever get filled, because permit holders are afraid they will drive all that way and find out they cannot shoot a buck.
Well, that's not quite it...of the 40 permits only between 12 and 20 will most likely show up at least once. After the State gun season opens, you will have most of the place to yourself, especially if you can go during the week. Of those, only 2 or 3 will kill a doe and have a chance to hunt a buck. Most people get frustrated and go back to hunting their personal honey holes. Don't get discouraged just yet, just go knowing what to expect. I've only hunted there once and it was very hot that year. Go and give it a try. Since most people only draw every 4 years or so they are willing to help you out some. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]The only people I've heard of getting drawn were from Searcy & Cabot, so likely they won't be hunting the place a whole lot, while folks who live near enough to hunt it, get passed over. I wouldn't be surprised if that's by design on the AGFC's part. I've submitted twice and haven't been drawn either time, I'm curious how many times those who were drawn have applied.

I know..sour grapes..but still, it kinda hacks me off that people who never have set foot on the place get to hunt it, while someone like me who knows it well can't.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
There's been many to draw the permit that never even show up to hunt. Make the permit 50 or 100 dollars and you can cull the no-shows much easier. That won't happen because the less hunters there are every year results in less chances of bucks being harvested; therefore (Hey Perrytown) the "nursery" survives! Neighboring leases must own stock in Grandview!

·
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know..sour grapes..but still, it kinda hacks me off that people who never have set foot on the place get to hunt it, while someone like me who knows it well can't.
Im sorry that you dont get to hunt the area but keep trying and im sure you will draw sooner or later, but for now how about some advice on a good part of the wma to find a big buck. where can i find the big boys.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I have put in for the last 8-9 years and finally got drawn this year. I work with a guy that has been drawn twice in that time. He said dont worry about the bucks just pray you can find a doe.
Did you question them on why you were not drawn earlier? They told me that this year the ones with 4 and 5 preference points were the ones drawn. I would have serious questions if I had applied for 9 years! I was drawn in '04 and hunted. The next year they notified me that I was drawn again! Then they contacted me and said they had made a mistake. That was probably the year they lost my preference point!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.