Arkansas Hunting banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,125 Posts
I bet with baiting, it has become more common as the population has declined and times are more difficult to kill turkeys. Desperate measures. I’m sure a lot are killed in the fall over bait while deer hunting too. Our wildlife would probably be much better off without baiting.
I agree - but the hunters in this state are so entrenched with baiting, and there are those within g&f that believes baiting is effective in increasing deer harvest to desired levels to keep deer from overpopulating. However, there are a number of bait products where corn is not a major component, which would greatly reduce the attraction to turkeys. To those folks who actually have turkeys - will they regularly feed on rice bran or protein pellets?

·
Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Baiting is Big Business..Go to Walmart or your local Co:Op feed store and look at the Isles of feed just for wildlife...
FOLLOW THE MONEY.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bet with baiting, it has become more common as the population has declined and times are more difficult to kill turkeys. Desperate measures. I’m sure a lot are killed in the fall over bait while deer hunting too. Our wildlife would probably be much better off without baiting.
I encourage everyone to look at the MSU Deer Lab Corn Feeder Survey(research projects)

·
Registered
288 Posts
You obviously haven't done your homework. This has been attempted and it doesn't work. It works slightly with quail, but not all with turkeys or pheasants. If it did, every state would do it.
It absolutely does not work with quail. The shooting preserves will even tell you that virtually all of the birds that are not killed by the hunter will not survive past a couple of days. When I used to go to one to train a new dog the number of hawks sitting in trees around the fields was surprising.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I agree - but the hunters in this state are so entrenched with baiting, and there are those within g&f that believes baiting is effective in increasing deer harvest to desired levels to keep deer from overpopulating. However, there are a number of bait products where corn is not a major component, which would greatly reduce the attraction to turkeys. To those folks who actually have turkeys - will they regularly feed on rice bran or protein pellets?
Entrenched is true. It’s big $$ industry and many couldn’t / wouldn’t hunt without it. I just wish priorities were in proper order.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts