Replacement Motor for Feeder

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SR4, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I discovered today the motor on a feeder has gone out. Digital timer still works, but I couldn't get it to spin at all. So, I need to buy a new one. Is one as good as another or is one better than them all. Its only a couple years old. Figured it'd last longer than that. I saw online moultrie had one with a built in varmint guard and I kinda like that since the coons climb up and spin it to get corn out. Anyone familiar with it? Any suggestions for a replacement?

2. possum

possum Well-Known Member

I'm going to ask a stupid question but, did you try a new battery? I had one that when the battery got low it would run the timer but not the motor and then there is some that have separate batteries for the timer. Sorry, I can't help ya with your original question though. :shrug:

3. SR4

No, I didn't try another battery. It has a battery meter on the readout and it showed about 3/4 charge, but it might worth trying before I buy another motor.

4. I have put a little 3in1 oil in them to get them going again.
    Most of them are little motors that you can buy at Radio Shack.
    But I have used Game Countries for years and never had one go out.
    When I built them that is what I used. I have been real happy with them.

5. possum

possum Well-Known Member

It would be worth a shot and if that ain't it you can always put the battery up for later. I've never had a fancy feeder with a battery meter on it....:biggrin:

6. No doubt. My buddy bought one and the hogs tore it apart.
    Mine are still going.....one has been going for about 14 years....

7. SR4

How about this......have any of ya'll made a gravity type feeder out of a tripod? Just looking online and saw some of the protein type feeders. Seems like I could take a closet flange, drop a piece of PVC from that with a T and a couple more short pieces of PVC and make that work. I probably have all the parts in the shop to do that. Just curious if anyone has made one and how that worked. I think it would if it would take the weight and any abuse the deer might give it if they bumped it. How high would the T need to be from the ground? Might not work as well either. Opinions?

8. SR4

Thats just how I roll:thumb:

9. possum

possum Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could work. I've actually quit using a slinger and feed in troughs now.

10. Seen them but never used one or made one. I am a automatic feeder person. In the long run it's easier on the wallet.
    If I am going to feed lots I will put it in the trough.

11. SR4

This is the only spinner I have. My other feeders are just 55 gal barrels sitting on the ground. I drill 3 2" holes equally around the sides about an 1" from the bottom, fill it up with corn and they eat from them really well. Its just a big gravity feeder that holds 300lbs corn. It lasts awhile. And they're cheap to make. Barrels with lids and bands cost me $15. Drill the holes and put it out.

12. The pros to the feeder motor is I can put 200 pounds of corn in one and it will feed for months and not days.
    Much cheaper.

13. possum

possum Well-Known Member

When they're hitting mine the hardest I'll feed about 150# a week with two troughs. When things green up during the Spring or the acorns drop in the Fall that same amount will go 2-3 weeks easily.

14. possum

possum Well-Known Member

My BIL done about the same thing but built a "funnel" into his, it helps that owns a sheet metal business.

15. SR4

Yea that'd help. I didn't get that fancy, but they still serve the purpose.

16. The deer down south on my place get more out the plots then the feeders.
    I would rather put my deer food money in the plots.

17. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

The ones with varmint guards are nice especially if it's one of the energized guards. We've got one of those on our 30 gal tripod feeder and it works great. It also is fun to use to play tricks one people who have never seen it. We tell them to go check and see if that motor will spin or if it's still seized up. That's when they try to spin it with a finger or two and get zapped...it's pretty funny.

18. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Had a motor go out on one several years ago on 1 of my Bulldog feeders & went to radio shack to see if they even had anything close that I might Redneck retrofit to work, and believe it or not, they had the very same exact motor. If memory serve me I think it was pretty costly, all of about $5 or some I think!

19. firehunter

firehunter Well-Known Member

motor

I have a sweeney feeder that is about 18 yrs old. This past weekend I could not get the motor to run. Ordered a new motor. It has been a good one. Well worth the extra you pay for a sweeney.
    YOu should be able to find a motor of some kind to retro fit or another brand that you can adapt.

20. roydchristopher

roydchristopher Well-Known Member

farmers coop in some areas carry motors also. fyi