Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Wal-Mart today and I came across a couple types of bug spray. Both Repel brand , one was Earth scented and the other was supposedly Unscented. I think both were 30% feet. When I sprayed both and smelled, both smelled like big spray to me, like chemicals.

Has anyone used either of these? I'm thinking maybe during scouting before bow season it may be good.

I don't have a thermacell but might buy one soon.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I 'll probBly just go thermacell . But $20, then the holster, then $20 for every refill pack makes me a little sour.
It will be well worth it. You can get around 48 hours out of the $20 refill pack. That'll last a lot of sits in the stand. I use mine a lot and bet I don't go through an entire refill pack between deer and turkey season combined.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not being a smartass here: are you sure it's lit? That crap about pushing the spark button "2-3 times" is BS! Mine sometimes take 10-15 hits to finally get a glow though that little window on the end. No lighty, no worky, lots of buggy!!!:eek:

By the way, skeeters LOVE ME!!!! When I show up it's like someone told them "Dave, the OTHER white meat"!:shrug:

One note: they work best if placed just upwind of, and below you. Heat rises, so that supposedly invisible/non smelling cloud of protection (that smokes and stinks) won't envelop you unless it's upwind and low. I use electrical tape to mount mine in the middle of my Summit lower section, as far forward as it will go. I get tired of the smell, but it darn tootin' keeps the skeeters away, and does a good job on horse flies, deer flies, etc.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Not being a smartass here: are you sure it's lit? That crap about pushing the spark button "2-3 times" is BS! Mine sometimes take 10-15 hits to finally get a glow though that little window on the end. No lighty, no worky, lots of buggy!!!:eek:

By the way, skeeters LOVE ME!!!! When I show up it's like someone told them "Dave, the OTHER white meat"!:shrug:

One note: they work best if placed just upwind of, and below you. Heat rises, so that supposedly invisible/non smelling cloud of protection (that smokes and stinks) won't envelop you unless it's upwind and low. I use electrical tape to mount mine in the middle of my Summit lower section, as far forward as it will go. I get tired of the smell, but it darn tootin' keeps the skeeters away, and does a good job on horse flies, deer flies, etc.
I had an older model that would take at least 20 clicks before it lit. I have two less than year old models and they fire up in the first couple of strikes.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Oh yeah I make sure they are on. The little "W" in the window is lit whenever I used them. Always a not windy evening/night. I just think the skeeters over here are not affected by them.

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
Just FYI, if you wait just a sec after your turn your thermacell on before clicking it, it lights MUCH better. I can either turn it on and start clicking right away and have to do it like 5 times, or I can turn it on and wait a .5 second or second and click it and it will fire right up.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You're correct on that point, learned it long ago. Even after waiting 10 seconds at least, mine are still click, click, click, click............. However, they have always FINALY lit and kept the skeeters at bay, but they take about 10 minutes for the wafer to get hot and start releasing the smelly-smokey!:biggrin: Who knows how long the sparkers are good for?:shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.