Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell us more about the process. Is it a DIY kit or?
This is not a DIY kit, we have a professional shop and have rights for the drake old school pattern. I decided to do the old school patter in cerakote on my older 870 as a test piece.
The process involves a lot. Disassembly, degreasing all parts and taping/ plugging barrels, media blasting to remove all old paint or film, wiping down and putting the parts into a tank of acetone where they are scrubbed down and then dried by an oven at 150-300 degrees depending on the material. During the process of drying, you are looking for seeping oil from the metal and if you find it, it’s cool down and back into the acetone for 10-15 minutes and scrubbed and then back into the over, repeating this process until all the oil is out of the metal. Once dry, they are cooled down and cerakoted with a base coat, baked for 10 minutes taken back out to cool down and stenciled. Another coat of cerakote goes on and back into the oven for 1-2 hours. The last process for stencils is done depending on the amount of colors needed. This one is 4 colors so it has armor black, chocolate brown, flat dark earth and the final coat is sand. After this it is oiled and reassembled.

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
This is not a DIY kit, we have a professional shop and have rights for the drake old school pattern. I decided to do the old school patter in cerakote on my older 870 as a test piece.
The process involves a lot. Disassembly, degreasing all parts and taping/ plugging barrels, media blasting to remove all old paint or film, wiping down and putting the parts into a tank of acetone where they are scrubbed down and then dried by an oven at 150-300 degrees depending on the material. During the process of drying, you are looking for seeping oil from the metal and if you find it, it’s cool down and back into the acetone for 10-15 minutes and scrubbed and then back into the over, repeating this process until all the oil is out of the metal. Once dry, they are cooled down and cerakoted with a base coat, baked for 10 minutes taken back out to cool down and stenciled. Another coat of cerakote goes on and back into the oven for 1-2 hours. The last process for stencils is done depending on the amount of colors needed. This one is 4 colors so it has armor black, chocolate brown, flat dark earth and the final coat is sand. After this it is oiled and reassembled.
10-4. I didn’t know if there was some DIY kit I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10-4. I didn’t know if there was some DIY kit I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the reply.
No problem, you can do this yourself but it would cost more than having someone do it unless, you are going to do more than 1-2 guns in similar colors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts