Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
If you can't do it yourself........take it to a gunsmith and have him tear it down completely.........it's not too exspensive.............I did one a few years ago for a friend, bet that thing hadn't been cleaned good in 30 yrs!!!! shot like a dream after a good cleaning!!!

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
If you can't do it yourself........take it to a gunsmith and have him tear it down completely.........it's not too expensive.............I did one a few years ago for a friend, bet that thing hadn't been cleaned good in 30 yrs!!!! shot like a dream after a good cleaning!!!
+1, I thought I did a good job cleaning my 7600 until it got bad stiff. A complete break down cleaning sounds in order.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My Dad has a pair of 'em and he does NOT do much maintenence..... went through it with a full break down and scrubbing and it was slick as owl.... well.. it was slick!!!

Sounds like the cure to me....... Dad's guns may have have never been REALLY cleaned, EVER until I hit 'em about three seasons ago. He doesn't shoot for fun... but he carries his guns all seasons and in all conditions.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You can't do "too good" of a job cleaning Remington pump and auto rifles. They have a lot of nooks and crannies that will collect dust, powder residue, and other trash. Also, use the best lube you can find on them, and they will last almost forever. I recommend Breakfree CLP, it has served me well for a long time.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
I have an old Rem 742 and this is how I do it.

Take the trigger housing out and remove all wood. cover your scope with a baggie.

Get a can of B12 carb cleaner and flush the action good. Blow it out and do it again.
Then I use Rem oil aerosol and lube it lightly. I don't go crazy with it so as not to attract gunk.

Oil the outside down and the thing will work like a champ.

I have had mine since I was 15 and now I am almost 44 and it shoots great and never jammed.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The 760's are relatively easy to break down & once you get inside, they're pretty simple. I use carb. cleaner to dissolve all the powder build-up, then coat it with Rem-Oil, wipe off the excess & put her back together. Never failed for me.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I got some gun scrubber yesterday and went to work on it last night. It really freed up but after sitting and drying it became stiff again,
but not as stiff as before. I do not know of a gun smith in Hot Springs since
Tom, at Pak Plaza retired. Taking the trigger mechanism out looks pretty easy, not sure about the rest.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Taking the trigger mechanism out looks pretty easy, not sure about the rest.

Thanks for the advice and tips.
i was going to break down my 742 one time to scrub it real good. When i pulled the trigger housing out, the springs popped off and shot accross the room. I must be too simple minded, because i never could figure out how to hook it back. Ended up taking it the smith and he cleaned it up for $40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.